• Rental Property Investor
  • Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY
Votes |
Does the term "SLUM LORD" bother you?

James Wilcox
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY
Posted Aug 20 2015, 05:41

I was just wondering if anyone on BP or have heard of any investor being called a "slum lord"? Would anyone else take offense to being called a "slum lord". It puts a bad taste in my mouth personally. Below is the story that sparked the conversation for this.

My wife was talking to a police officer at work and it came up in conversation that we do REI. She mentioned about a deal we were trying to work out (C class neighborhood or less). He asked where the area was. She told him and he immediately laughed and asked if we were "slum lords". She took a little offense to it and so did I when I heard it. I have never thought of myself in that light, but obviously others may see us in that way. However, yes the place is not in the best neighborhood. However, I hope to at least provide a nice, safe residence for my tenants at my property. I obviously can't speak on the other landlords in the areas though.

This is the first time I have heard anyone calling us by that term. IMO, I have only had good relations with my tenants. Many of them are very pleased with their stay at my places. Is there a way I can change this third party perspective on my business or have I just been naive in our REI.

• Real Estate Agent Kentucky (#288548)

REI James w/ eXp Realty Logo

Loading replies...