Skip to content
Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Ayodeji Kuponiyi
  • Investor
  • King of Prussia, PA
Votes |
Farm Area vs Outside Markets (Philadelphia vs the Rest)

Ayodeji Kuponiyi
  • Investor
  • King of Prussia, PA
Posted Aug 23 2015, 15:10

First of all thank you in advance for reading my thread. I'm at a cross road. Many books/podcasts/investors recommends buying properties in my farm area when starting out. They assure that I can make money in real estate regardless of the economic climate if you know every property within your farm area. Sacrificing your geographical knowledge for what I perceived as an opportunity in areas I lack familiarity is unwise. 

Rather than look for a particular type of building, I'm looking for a particular type of market. A market where there's population & strong employment growth, low cost of living, great schools, and tourism just to name a few.I currently own a duplex in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Currently I'm looking to purchase an apartment building of 5-25 units. 

However after some research, I feel that I should look more in the Midwest, Southwest and Southeast region of the country. Philadelphia is great but the job market isn't high compared to other cities like Texas or Memphis(according to Forbes, Memphis is the #1 cash flowing market in the world) 

What are your thoughts? Currently I'm considering buying turn key properties in regions that meet my market critieria.