Skip to content
Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
James H.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Why Wholesale Rather than be a RE Agent?

James H.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Jul 5 2012, 06:16

I notice a very large proportion of folks new to RE are (trying to be) wholesalers. I have not wholesaled (sp?) but it sounds like a lot of darn work. Yet, to become an agent, you just need to take a few classes and take a test. After that, the work appears to be easier than wholesale marketing campaigns. Seams the up front investment for RE classes would equal that of a good wholesale marketing strategy.

These are some assumptions I have that are very general. As a wholesaler, you're going to be dealing *mostly* with properties that, for whatever reason, can't get financing. So you will probably be dealing with sub 50K houses in 95% of your dealings. As an agent you are probably going to be dealing *mostly* with 150K+ most of the time. I'm assuming southern regions/midwestern regions.

Based on what I've read and seen, it appears the assignment fee for a 50K house would usually be about the same as an agents fee for a 150K house.

So I'm just curious; why wholesale rather than be an agent? What do you like/dislike about one or the other?

Loading replies...