• Investor
  • Bartlett, IL
Votes |
workers camp

Robert D.
  • Investor
  • Bartlett, IL
Posted Apr 16 2014, 11:23

What would be the best approach to create legal protection while hiring workers for temp/low skilled help. For example I need 1 guy for 10 hours today to help me move stuff, 1 guy tomorrow to help clean up etc

From legal standpoint they will be my employees … I will provide tools, instruct them what to do, they will be working for me between hour X and Y ….so if they get injured on my property I will be in trouble.

I was thinking of buying workers camp insurance every time I hire one (they most likely will not have LLC). How flexible is the product ? can I buy it one a weekly basis or have a employee sign a paper and I pay $4 per day to have him covered ?or it makes sense to have more employees for the cost benefit to materialize ? my friend drives taxi in the city and when he signs a lease he pays $1.5 that goes towards workers camp - but he is a independent contractor. So looks like the taxi company has an agreement with workers camp provider and every time a new driver comes in ..all they need from him is signed lease and he is covered. I would appreciate any feedback. How about medicare, medaid, FICA, SS and all other payments that usually get deducted from employees paychecks ? do I need to account for that too or there is a threshold?

Loading replies...