Rehabbing & House Flipping
Account Closed
  • Neptune, NJ
Votes |
False radon test. French drain the culprit. Easy fix Great opportunity

Account Closed
  • Neptune, NJ
Posted Apr 24 2014, 06:39

Company installed this French drain system to quell a water problem that had an opened raised plastic piece that went all the way around the perimeter that extended from under the slab up about 4'-6" along the wall that even had drilled weep holes at the bottom of the block that was designed to allow water that may seep down the wall to go behind this piece then into the pipe surround under the slab they installed then into the sump hole then when enough water accumulated the pump would turn on and discharge the H2O outside. Simple right typical.

The problem is the open space around the top of the plastic allowed radon to seep in the home when there was dry conditions when the system did not need to run, A test was done when it rained and the sump worked NO radon. When system did not run the basement filled with radon. Problem was the system was behind a finished wall. Anyway. Just made an offer. This is a third offer (I have made on recent properties since doing a USPS direct mail campaign).

The owners just wants to sell as they are tired of home inspections uncovering every little thing... Since I understand the issues in front of me (and the correct type of system needed) and additional items like proper grading and downspout extensions etc. Instead of hammering the sellers I offered them an easy sale based upon taking the home as is. And since I listened to them I also understood there needs re finding an out of state home. So I gave them time to look around for there new home in the deal and they agreed to let me start work even if they have not found anything in a set period of time to which they will have to start paying me rent (very high). Strong agreement written by a strong team member attorney.