Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Shannon S.
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
1920 Cedar Siding and Ugly Orange Paint Needs Gone. Removeall?

Shannon S.
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Aug 26 2014, 19:56

Short version:  Is it cheaper to have 100 year old two story house with 4 layers of paint stripped and repainted or to have the siding ripped off and replaced?  

Longer one: Have a 1920 duplex, 2 story, 2900 sq ft in South Broadripple Indiana. And it's Orange. A little green. Oh some white and brown to boot. Layers and layers of paint on cedar. Cedar is in okay shape, say 10% replacement at max.

I've read every article I can find here and googled on how to change this economically.  It's a rental and I live in one side currently, but the outside is just awful. Feel free to look. 4343 N College Ave, Indianapolis.  The google image makes the paint look much nicer then it is also.

It'd be great to have it stripped somehow and repainted while replacing what boards are bad with hardi. I have absolutely no idea the labor it would cost to do it verses tearing it off and using another option.  Obvious answer is to get a few quotes. Right now I have to take unpaid time for that and currently spending every moment I can on a new rental purchase.  So figured - there has to be a wealth of people who've priced this out enough to give me the right direction.

Whats the normal cost difference of "strip 4 layers of paint, sand and repaint" per square verses rip off and new siding like SmartSide on a 2 story old house?

I've thought about on the other side of it using Removeall and hiring a crew to strip and repaint. Thoughts?

And yes, to the many of you who'd hate me to lose / cover the cedar, I really don't want too, but if it's 2x as much then to just rip it down, re wrap the house and new siding, then rip down it will be. (Or cover but hate doing that also)

Thanks!
Shannon

Loading replies...