• Investor
  • Chicagoland, IL
Votes |
Do you avoid house with asbestos? Here is what I experienced

Bob T.
  • Investor
  • Chicagoland, IL
Posted Dec 31 2014, 21:11

It's first time my team ran into this problem just sharing, maybe will hear what others have experienced (cost, avoid them?).

Lost about 1.5 month (mostly due to all the holidays) after we discovered 9x9 vinyl tiles under old carpets, encapsulation wasn't an option since vinyl were in very bad shape.  

I called up a local landlord who give me his contact to a Test Lab near by me.  I was able to get the result the next day .... tile was positive but the mastic (adhesive) was negative!  Not sure what is the saving if I had to also remove adhesive.    Anyway, I called around but the references Test Lab provided were all doing commercial abatement and some didn't return calls.    I learn a lot from calling different companies and got ball park cost of $4000 for 1000 sqft (permit, abatement,  another test).   $OUCH$

Here are some photo:

I can't go in side the "bag".   Furnace is off and it was about 20 degree outside.

everyone was watching this guy testing the air sample, indoor was maybe 30 degrees.   We passed!!  

Now we have to try to get our GC back hope we wont loss any more time.   Happy New Year!

Loading replies...