• Washington, Washington D.C.
Votes |
Value of adding deck in homeowner neighborhood

Nancy Roth
  • Investor
  • Washington, Washington D.C.
Posted Feb 1 2015, 09:22

Hello, everyone.

We could add a deck to the colonial I'm considering acquiring for my first rehab (not including numerous personal home rehabs). It would be challenging, though, because of a poorly designed bumpout done in kitchen long ago. In the modern reconfigured kitchen that must go in, it would not be easy to provide access to deck at back of house without adding a modest addition to the bumpout. This would add a lot of cost to project.

I've no doubt that a deck appeals to many buyers, but I'm unclear whether buyers are actually willing to pay more for it. And I don't know whether appraisers add value for a deck. I can't have the cost exceed the benefit.

The house is in a handsome homeowner neighborhood in Baltimore City, popular with first-time homebuyers. Many successful rehabs have occurred in this area, including on the same block as this house, and the zip code, 21214, is highly favored by rehabbers. Many neighboring houses have decks. If the access were not such a problem I wouldn't hesitate. 

Guidance gladly received, especially from the many on this list who work in and near Baltimore, a rather unique RE market.

Thanks,

Nancy Roth

Loading replies...