• Flipper
  • Port Deposit, MD
Votes |
Firing a lousy contractor

NA Jones
  • Flipper
  • Port Deposit, MD
Posted Mar 27 2015, 04:46

Hi BP!  I'm going to search the forums for similar discussions, just looking for some advise...  

We're part way through our first flip and have had decent luck so far getting the right guys in place to do the job, except for the plumbing.  We signed a work authorization for 6k with a plumber to complete 3 tasks.  Fast forward a month and a half later, he has done about 70% of one of the three tasks and the relationship has soured.  Multiple no call no shows, won't return calls, has a million and one reasons why he can't do the things he says he's gonna do...  the last conversation with him ended with him yelling at my husband, blaming us entirely for all of his shortcomings, said he's "out of pocket from here on out because we've cost him the whole 6k" to do what he's done so far.  I understand that we are inexperienced and therefore probably difficult to work with, but all of our other contractors have handled it professionally so far.

I guess the options here are try to repair the relationship and get him to finish the job or cut him loose and find someone better.  I'm leaning towards the latter.

Here's where the inexperience shines through as well - I'm not sure what our options are regarding cutting him loose.  Are we on the line for the full 6k even though he did less than half the work authorized?  The quote was itemized - 2k for the line, 3k for the supply lines and water heater, and 1k for the finish..  he's only done 70% of the 3k item but claiming his costs have been 6k thus far (which is a load of crap.)  Should we try and negotiate with him?  Should we send him a check for what we feel we should pay him (heck I'll give him the full 3k) with a letter that says "if you cash this check you agree that this matter is settled"?  What would you do?

Loading replies...