• Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
Siding repairs... 6", 7", and 8" face

Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Posted Jul 1 2015, 13:41

We have property in two complexes ("A" and "B") where there is a need for about 30% siding repair in each one. The reveal (the face of the siding) is 6" in "A" and 8" in the other. This issue I am running into is that the siding is smooth beaded siding. Hardie board only comes in 8.25 size (7" face) for smooth beaded. Are there any other manufacturers that provide smooth beaded 9.25 or 7.25 product?

For complex B the only option I can think of is to "step down" the face from 8 to 7.5 to 7 on the lower X boards of each impaired side. The first step would be .5 to maintain integrity and subsequent steps .1 or so. The good thing in complex "B" is that 80%+ of the storage sheds are impaired, and those can all be 7" faces (since we will replace all of the siding) and not detract from the visual aspect of the repair/alteration.

Hard to believe that someone hasn't run into this. The "easy" (but financially unacceptable) answer is replace everything and go 7"... at a $330K for one and ~$420K price tag for the other.  

Any help from BP Nation... much appreciated.

Also: I'd prefer not to rip down 8.25 to 7.25 for a 6" reveal for complex A... Lots of labor and several saw blades... but I know it is feasible.

Loading replies...