Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Sean H.
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Having Civil Engineer approve plans/construction vs. Getting Permits for resale in CA??

Sean H.
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jul 27 2015, 21:39

Hi Guys,

My client and I have a project and I'm trying to give her some help, so naturally I come to BP!

She is looking to remodel the kitchen by knocking down a load bearing wall, as well as move the kitchen sink/dishwasher plumbing from one end of the kitchen to the other (about 10 ft). At first we thought that we could apply for just a load bearing wall replacement permit, over the counter. That way we could avoid applying for a plumbing permit as well. 

However the load bearing wall also has the sink/dishwasher on that side, so the inspector will most likely deduct that we are also planning some plumbing renovations and will require permits. We want to avoid this if possible. 

Our goal now is to go the civil engineer route, where we have the plans for the load bearing wall approved by the civil engineer, and have him supervise the construction. We will document the entire process and have the engineer sign off on all aspects that could cause concern. In this sense it would be just as detailed, if not more so, then acquiring a permit through the city.

My question is: What would be the downside to this? If asked by potential buyers, we could supply the documentation that the load bearing wall was constructed to code/was done correctly. Is this a feasible option? We have a family friend who is a civil engineer, and has experience in both residential and commercial capacities. 

But before going down this road,  I wanted to get some experienced opinions about whether or not this will work for re-sale. Will lenders/appraisers discount the remodel work due to not having permits vs. having engineering sign off? The house is in Orange, CA.  

Thanks for the help as always, and I look forward to your comments!

Loading replies...