Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Robert Taylor
  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer
  • Fox Point, WI
Votes |
Who Wants to Join My One Man Crusade to END Use of The F-Word???

Robert Taylor
  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer
  • Fox Point, WI
Posted Aug 29 2015, 19:45

OK, first off I'm not talking about that other F-word, the one that ends with "CK" and is certainly considered a vulgar word in any company, I'm talking about the word "FLIP"-I truly believe anyone in the business of renovating homes with hopes of making a profit is cutting their own throat every single time they use THAT WORD! 

Think about it, homes are the biggest purchase in the lives of the vast majority of people, unless you hang out with the private jet crowd (who buy them, not NetJets users) or if all of your friends have mega-yachts, then otherwise a home is the major purchase of their lives and we all know the extreme lengths so many big companies and makers of any product go to, spending tons of $$$ on PR, marketing, etc and it often comes down to a single word or a term related to their product. 

Our products are the homes we have renovated and are now trying to sell and can anyone honestly think of any buyer who's going to have a positive opinion of the term and/or process where someone says they are "flipping" a house? I sure can't! To me, it conjures up visions of trying to do it as fast as possible, which anyone who knows how involved things can get, would mean cutting corners, taking the easy way out on issues that pop up (and they always pop up) as well as those stupid TV shows that show people doing the renovation process at light speed and making boatloads of cash on it.

Now, you will NOT find any links at the bottom here for some "go fund me" account for my "operating expenses" since I've set my budget at $0.00 nor will I be hounding anyone to hand out leaflets or "manage the North Carolina division" and thus committing lots of time, I'm not asking for any time or any money, I just am asking everyone to consider IMMEDIATELY ENDING all use of that term, I not only see absolutely zero benefit from it, I see lots of harm as I'm also the broker who sells these homes I renovate and have taken far too many calls where the buyer's agent who's looking to just set up a showing time, has one question for me "Is this a flip" and it is ALWAYS said with a sneer that says it all to me, that we're cutting our own throats with that word!

Loading replies...