BiggerPockets


How To Get A Discount At Home Depot Or Lowes...?

Forum Powered By:

39 posts by 29 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

This topic has been locked by an administrator.

H Mann

Real Estate Investor from Bay Area, California

Dec 17 '10, 08:24 AM


A while back, I read that you can get a 15% or so discount at Lowe's if you go talk to someone at a particular desk at the store.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?



Marc Freislinger

Real Estate Investor from Phoenix, Arizona

Dec 17 '10, 08:26 AM
3 votes


Talk to commercial services desk.

Often they have a minimum order size for the discount, but if they get to know you sometime you can get the discount on everything, except tools. I could never get it on tools...



J Scott Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

Dec 17 '10, 08:35 AM
3 votes


At Home Depot, if you spend a minimum of $5000 (though they'll do smaller amounts if they know you), you can go to the contractor desk, submit your order to them, they'll submit the order to corporate for a price quote, and a few hours later you'll be offered a price somewhere around 8-12% below retail for that particular order.

From there, you can negotiate further (I never accept less than 12% and have gotten it down to 17% off). Generally, the discount will be dependent on the actual stuff you purchase -- higher margin items will get better discounts than lower margin items.



Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Website: http://www.123flip.com
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook


Bill G.

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Missouri

Dec 17 '10, 08:42 AM
2 votes


I prefer Lowes, I have pumped hundreds of thosuands through that store and don't let them forget it! LOL I can now just go to the store manager on duty and say "hey, I need a little better price on this" last item was a gas fireplace with screen for 200!

You can ask for a discount...better, IMO to say a better price any time. You can certainly ask at any store and sometimes you get it, but not if you don't ask! Good luck.



Mitch Kronowit Donor

SFR Investor from Orange County, California

Dec 17 '10, 09:24 AM
1 vote


When we painted a house last year, the paint guy at Home Depot told us to take our 5-gallon buckets to the contractor's desk and ring them up there for a 10% discount or so.



J Scott Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

Dec 17 '10, 09:56 AM
8 votes


Also keep in mind that Lowes and HD generally accept each other's coupons...so, if you have a 10% off coupon for one, you can generally use it at either.

Here is where you can get the coupons:

http://www.homedepotmoving.com/signup/registration.aspx (sign up and they'll send you one)

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registration_253641591_



Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Website: http://www.123flip.com
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook


Bill G.

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Missouri

Dec 17 '10, 10:28 AM


Originally posted by J Scott:
Also keep in mind that Lowes and HD generally accept each other's coupons...so, if you have a 10% off coupon for one, you can generally use it at either.

Here is where you can get the coupons:

http://www.homedepotmoving.com/signup/registration.aspx (sign up and they'll send you one)

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registration_253641591_

Yes, sometimes and probably in some places.....recently we went to Lowes with a coupon for whatever and it was no big deal, went to the service desk and saw it was a HD coupon, not lowes, started to head out the door and ask if they would accept it.....no, because it was not the exact same item.

I'm not a coupon clipper, but I would sure use one if it's what I need...one reason I'm not big on them is that there is alot of scamming done.....Best Buy and WalMart are real good about this. A HP computer, exact stuff on it, model 12345, the other store has the same computer, but modle 56789, so they are not exact and won't accept them. They don't say that the only stores in the world that have model 56789 are Wal marts since they buy by the train load! They are tricky!

So, at Lowes, that was what the gal at the service desk was giving me, I don't persue things like that because I really don't want to take it up with the "manager".

I guess it's when you go in, who you ask and if the products are similar or exact and what the local deals might be.

Good post Jason on the sites, for discounts/coupons!



Mike Grayford

Rehabber from Simi Valley, California

Dec 17 '10, 11:32 AM


Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but at our local Home Depot stores (Los Angeles area), you speak with someone at the commercial (or contractor's) desk, and if your purchase is over $2000 (or maybe $2500, I'm not 100% certain), they will send the order off to the "Bid Room". I've gotten over a 20% discount on a number of occasions. Large appliances seem to be treated differently, though.



Account Closed

Landlord from Seattle, Washington

Dec 17 '10, 11:54 AM


While I ten to like Lowes prices better. I often end up needing to go to Home Depot because they tend to maintain a good stock and seem to have the items I'm looking for. They both offer discounts if you buy in volume.



Chris Martin

Real Estate Investor from Holly Springs, North Carolina

Dec 17 '10, 09:27 PM


The commercial services desk at Lowe's in my area will print a good for that day only, 15% off coupon for paint. I buy in 5 Gallon sizes, so not sure if it applies to all orders or not. Although I have accounts with Lowe's, I don't think it is necessary. You just go to the desk and ask... and they provide!



Raymond B.

Real Estate Investor from Wallingford, Connecticut

Dec 17 '10, 10:04 PM


At the Lowes in Ct., your order must be at least $2500., to go to the bid room.

I have asked for discounts on smaller orders, (after placing a huge order, $10K+) and I have received at least a 10% discount.

If you don't ask, you'll never know.

Ray in Ct.



Ryan B.

Real Estate Investor from -, Illinois

Dec 22 '10, 04:26 AM
2 votes


Go on ebay and you can buy the Lowe's 10% off coupons for about a buck each.

You can also get gift cards to Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, etc., on ebay for about 90% face value.

Combine a gift card you bought for 90% of face value with a 10% off coupon you bought for a buck and you can get pretty good deals.

I always keep at least 4 or 5 of the 10% off coupons in my wallet at all times. As long your purchase is over $10, the coupon pays for itself.



Bryan A. Donor

Real Estate Investor from Charlotte, North Carolina

Dec 22 '10, 07:09 AM


have you ever bought a 2nd hand gift card? how do you verify the amount on the card is what they say it is?



Bryan A., Carolinas Revitalization, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 704-905-6510
Website: http://www.facebook.com/carolinasrevitalization
To see ongoing and upcoming projects, please like us on Facebook!


Ryan B.

Real Estate Investor from -, Illinois

Dec 22 '10, 07:24 AM
1 vote


Bryan,

I have bought several gift cards and have never had a problem with the info being incorrect. If you buy them off of ebay, make sure to use a seller that does a ton of business and has good ratings.

Most of the time this is what happens (I used to do retail security during college):

A person steals something from Lowe's, returns it without a receipt and gets an instore merchandise card for say $100. They then take the merchandise card to a pawn shop and sell if for $50 or $60. The pawn shop then puts the merchandise card on ebay and it usually sells at auction for approximately 90% of the face value (pawn shop that is selling it will have called the 800-number on the back to verify $).

If you are not comfortable buying merchandise cards off of ebay, go to a pawn shop in the worst part of town, tell them to call you when they get merchandise cards as you will buy them for 90 cents on the dollar of face value. I actually have 2 pawn shops that call me quite a bit when they get these cards in.

Couple this with the 10% off coupon you bought for a buck and you get approximately 20% off of a purchase that you needed to make.


Edited Dec 22 2010, 07:29 by Ryan B.


Mat Lewczenko

Multi-family Investor from Lenexa, Kansas

Dec 22 '10, 07:55 AM
1 vote


BigBubba, I really liked that plan until I found out that most of it is perpetuated by theft (not by you, but by someone else).

We used the 10% off coupons all the time when you could just get a handfull of address change cards from the post office.



Jim S

Real Estate Investor from Virginia, DC &, Maryland

Dec 22 '10, 07:59 AM


Originally posted by BigBubba:
Bryan,

I have bought several gift cards and have never had a problem with the info being incorrect. If you buy them off of ebay, make sure to use a seller that does a ton of business and has good ratings.

Most of the time this is what happens (I used to do retail security during college):

A person steals something from Lowe's, returns it without a receipt and gets an instore merchandise card for say $100. They then take the merchandise card to a pawn shop and sell if for $50 or $60. The pawn shop then puts the merchandise card on ebay and it usually sells at auction for approximately 90% of the face value (pawn shop that is selling it will have called the 800-number on the back to verify $).

If you are not comfortable buying merchandise cards off of ebay, go to a pawn shop in the worst part of town, tell them to call you when they get merchandise cards as you will buy them for 90 cents on the dollar of face value. I actually have 2 pawn shops that call me quite a bit when they get these cards in.

Couple this with the 10% off coupon you bought for a buck and you get approximately 20% off of a purchase that you needed to make.

You can also go online to plasticjungle.com and buy Home Depot gift cards for a 7% discount. While I was waiting for my last flip to settle I accumulated $18,000 in HD giftcards for $16,700. Add that to the contractor desk discount and it adds up to about 20% discount. Ka$hing!



Ryan B.

Real Estate Investor from -, Illinois

Dec 22 '10, 08:12 AM


Mat,

I know exactly how you feel, since the underlying factor is theft (usually). I cannot say that I agree with the process, but in today's society, not many people even bat an eye at something like this. Kinda sad.



Michal Rooney

Developer from Kona, Hawaii

Dec 22 '10, 09:57 AM
1 vote


May I suggest slickdeals.net ? Set an alert for the actual thing you're looking for (paint, a specific tool) and if it comes up be ready to pounce on it.
They also have a lot of good strategies for getting cards that aren't illegal.



Ryan B.

Real Estate Investor from -, Illinois

Dec 22 '10, 10:25 AM


The cards are not illegal. I am not saying that every card for sale is obtained this way.



Matthew T.

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Massachusetts

Dec 22 '10, 10:42 AM


Originally posted by J Scott:
At Home Depot, if you spend a minimum of $5000 (though they'll do smaller amounts if they know you), you can go to the contractor desk, submit your order to them, they'll submit the order to corporate for a price quote, and a few hours later you'll be offered a price somewhere around 8-12% below retail for that particular order.

From there, you can negotiate further (I never accept less than 12% and have gotten it down to 17% off). Generally, the discount will be dependent on the actual stuff you purchase -- higher margin items will get better discounts than lower margin items.

Actually if you spend enough at Home Depot you can become what is called a managed account and then sending purchases to what is called "The Bid Room" is only a max of $1000. On one project for a four story porch i got all the wood from Home Depot and sent it all to the bid room and I got 38% off, no joke. It all depends on the markup of the items. Sometimes I only get 6% off.



(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!

We hate spam just as much as you


To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums