BiggerPockets

How much to convert heat from oil to gas?

Forum Powered By:

5 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Ty Wesley

Feb 11 '11, 10:57 PM

Hey guys, how much can I expect to pay to have a house converted from oil heat to gas heat?

Jeffrey K.

Real Estate Investor from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Feb 12 '11, 06:17 AM

Do you have a meter? If you do and want to swap the unit out it will probably be in the 2k-5k range depending on the size and efficiency of the unit and what type of gas pipe you run. You will also have to have the tank taken out and that will cost money also.

Steve Babiak

Real Estate Investor from Audubon, Pennsylvania

Jan 12 '12, 10:59 AM

This post is based on recent numbers in my area - I'm sure it will vary based on geography and based on the utility supplier.

One house where I am converting is serviced by PECO for natural gas (they are also the electricity utility, but that does not matter for this thread). There are rebates from PECO depending on whether heat, hot water, cooking, laundry dryer, etc. are going to be gas units. For what I am doing, it will be heat and hot water only, so my cost to PECO will be ~ $1100 to get from the street to the outside of the house where the meter will be, given that there is already a gas line on the street. Then as Jeffrey mentioned, you have to get a heating system, and his prices are representative of what you can expect to pay.

Now, there is another house I was looking at buying, where the nearest gas line was 1 block away, and where PECO was also the gas supplier. To get a gas line to that house was going to cost between $100 and $125 per FOOT of run from the supply line one block away ... plus the cost of the heating system ... Needless to say, that makes natural gas non-feasible for this house at this time. Perhaps if a bunch of other neighbors want to do likewise, and split the cost, it might make sense.

And Jeffrey said you have to take the oil tank out - I don't believe that is required, since I see many decommissioned oil tanks being left inside houses that are gas heated. Though I do like taking them out to prevent any accidental oil fill-ups - one less worry that way IMO.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Aaron Mazzrillo

Wholesaler from Riverside, California

Mar 06 '12, 03:23 PM

I've gotten quotes for a 4 unit and 3 unit apartment bldgs I own. Both came in at about $10K.

Craig Shute

Landlord from New York

Mar 06 '12, 06:35 PM

It depends if there's natural gas to the house already, for an oven or something. I just had my house changed over. They finished up today actually. It was $3,000 for a new gas furnace installed and the ductwork that had to go with it. I'm leaving the oil tank in case anyone ever wants to go back to oil. There was gas already into the house for the oven, but I'm pretty sure that with National Grid in our area you get a certain distance free, or if there is an installation fee it's minimal if the lines run on your street. Hope that helps.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums