BiggerPockets

Is it recommended to pull money out of a flip house

Forum Powered By:

6 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Yaz Bajric

Caledonia, Michigan

Jan 18 '13, 05:51 AM

Hi everyone my name is Yaz I have been reading the biggerpockets forum for about 6 months but this will be my first post. I primarily do fix and flips and currently I have a house that is 2 weeks away from being put back on the market. Has anyone pulled money out of their fix and flip homes to purchase the next property? The house was purchased cash for $30K and I invested $12K in rehab(all cash). The ARV on the house is $80,000.

If I pull $30,000 out will this in any way affect me when I sell the house. I understand the bank would have a lien on the house for 30K but does this look suspicious to the buyer.

Sebastien B.

Real Estate Investor from New York, New York

Jan 18 '13, 05:56 AM

Why pull out money to flip anyways? Seems silly.

Either hold the asset and refinance, or just sell and repeat the flip process.

J Scott Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

Jan 18 '13, 06:18 AM
1 vote

When I get loans again properties, this is generally how I'll do it. I"ll pay cash for everything, and then if I need more cash during all the renovations to by more properties, I'll refinance one of the properties to pull out cash. This way, I only pay interest if I really need the cash and have another opportunity that is clear more lucrative than the money I'll spend on the extra closing and the interest...

Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Yaz Bajric

Caledonia, Michigan

Jan 18 '13, 06:43 AM

J Scot thanks for your input you knew exactly what I was trying to do.

Huggy Baird

Lakewood, Ohio

Jan 20 '13, 09:17 AM
1 vote

Originally posted by J Scott:
When I get loans again properties, this is generally how I'll do it. I"ll pay cash for everything, and then if I need more cash during all the renovations to by more properties, I'll refinance one of the properties to pull out cash. This way, I only pay interest if I really need the cash and have another opportunity that is clear more lucrative than the money I'll spend on the extra closing and the interest...

This is sound thinking when the opportunity cost is greater than the closing costs and interest on the refi. I'd offer a couple thoughts Yaz should factor in:
1. Banks lend 70% ltv on the purchase price (not appraisal) if you held the deed less than 12 months. For your $30 home you'll only see $21k in a cash out refi.
2. It will take up to 30 days to get that $21k through underwriting. By that time you may have sold the home and be a week away from closing

Aaron McGinnis

Real Estate Investor from Atlanta, Georgia

Jan 20 '13, 04:38 PM

Seconded... when I borrow money, that's how I do it...

Making financed offers on property just hurts your odds in a competitive marketplace, and slows down the whole process. Better to buy with cash, rehab with cash, and only pull cash out if you have an immediate use for it.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums