• Rehabber
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
First Energy Efficient Rehab Reveal - Before/During/After

Glenn Espinosa
  • Rehabber
  • Alexandria, VA
Posted May 2 2013, 19:39

We just finished up one of our rehabs and as some of you may know, our company just recently adopted the green/energy efficient strategy. We've been rehabbing homes since 2011 but jumped onto the green scene when we realized there was an untapped market for green redevelopment in our area. Simply put, there are some buyers out there that want older homes with charm but want the energy efficiency of a new construction home - so that's what we are aiming to do.

We contracted on this house in late December and started rehab in late January. We lost a week or two here and there due to bad snow but came in right around the 4 month mark.

Some of the green/energy efficient features include:

-No VOC paint
-Renewably sourced carpet
-Hypoallergenic and ecofriendly insulation
-Comprehensive foam insulation and sealing
-EnergyStar windows
-EnergyStar appliances
-LED/CFL and energy saving light fixtures
-WaterSense Faucets with aerators
-Insulated plumbing
-High-efficiency dual flush toilets
-Nest thermostat

We will be conducting a second blower door test tomorrow to see exactly how much our end buyer will be saving in monthly utility bills as compared to the original house and the surrounding homes. If we score high enough we will be shoe ins for an EnergyStar certification (crosses fingers).

Marketing this house has been really interesting and fun. Our company has caused quite a stir in the local community and a lot of people are waiting in line for our open house. Two weeks ago my company and I were featured on the local news. They did a story on how we are turning old homes green and energy efficient. There is some merit to guerilla marketing and reaching out to your local news can provide some results.

The house goes on market tomorrow so wish us luck!

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

Let me know what you guys think. Final numbers posted when house sells!

-Glenn Espinosa

Loading replies...