• Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Article about rental rates in Shelby County

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Posted Aug 16 2015, 09:50

http://www.commercialappeal.com/business/real-esta...

I'm pretty sure the link isn't paywalled.  The main idea is that 1 in 3 renters in Memphis have to spend more than half their income on rent.

As someone who is looking into getting his foot into the door of real estate investment here in Memphis (where I live and work as a teacher), I have been conflicted by wanting to make money with a property and the ethical obligation of providing quality housing.

At the beginning of each school year, as some may know, schools have to verify addresses to make sure that the student still lives in the district.  We have to have two official proofs, usually an MLGW bill and a drivers license.  Annually, I'm stunned by the number of cutoff notices and relatively brand new leases I see.  That, and how many people have to show signed affidavits of shared residence because they can't afford to live on their own.

This is not to say that individuals are not responsible for themselves or their families, but it does raise the issue of the pricing in the rental industry.  Like I said, I am a complete newcomer and am personally interested in purchasing rental property, but I'm just wondering how this piece fits into the overall puzzle. 

Thoughts?

Loading replies...