BiggerPockets

Doug Hopkins - Winning the Property Wars

16 posts by 14 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Bob Dunas

Raleigh, NC

Jan 28, 07:43 AM
1 vote

Who is Doug Hopkins and what is his seminar really pushing? He has a seminar called "Winning The Property Wars" and it seems to relate to his TV show on the Discovery Channel that involves real estate auctions. His seminar is coming to Raleigh NC in 2 weeks and I'm wondering what he is selling and how much it costs.

Rachel Johnsen

Lake Tapps, Washington

Jan 28, 10:36 AM
1 vote

@Bob Dunas He was on the radio last night. New concept/business, so you won't find reviews pertaining to the University. From what I understand of him he is a good guy, knows his stuff. Here is a link. If you attend, will you please let us know how it went?! Thanks!

http://ktar.com/21/1490586/Mac--Gaydos

Bob Dunas

Raleigh, NC

Jan 28, 10:56 AM
1 vote

Thanks Rachel. I do plan on attending and will report back. I am still a bit suspect of what he is selling. The "Special Invitation" I was mailed offers a free MP3 player, a chance to win an iPAD, and FEE gifts from his sponsors. This is usually an indication of hard sells for boot camps, books and tapes, and/or mentoring. In the past, this kind of seminar has no content, just a big pitch about how wonderful the guru and his program are. Nevertheless, I'll try to keep an open mind.

John Moore

Rehabber from Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania

Jan 28, 11:44 AM
2 votes

Welcome to the BP family. Leave your wallet and credit cards in the car. I'm sure by this time you have realized that there is no free lunch. Many seminars have a lot to offer and can be excellent learning experiences as well as an excellent opportunity to network. Take your time and evaluate the cost, reward benefits and then make your decision. On these pages and the the podcasts you can gain an excellent "free" education. Welcome aboard.

John Moore, John Moore Homes
Telephone: (570) 243-8484
John Moore 3360 Route 940 Mt. Pocono, Pa.18344 [email protected] (570 243-8484

Jeff Neckonoff

Lawrence, New York

Feb 02, 08:59 AM

I went to this seminar a few months ago on Long Island.
They are selling a $2500 package which promises a weekend seminar and coaching, with all the extras like finding lenders, etc.

Theresa Alani

lenexa, ks

May 01, 11:18 AM

HI I attend the same type of seminar. It was nothing but a bait and switch scheme. They try to get you to sign up for educational weekend packages totaling $23,000.00 to $47,000.00 dollars.

Wayne Brooks

West Palm Beach, Florida

May 01, 11:24 AM
1 vote

Disclosure: Hater

Really? Buying a program from one of the clowns who:

"show up to the property 5 minutes before bid time, speculate as to whether there is a pool in the back yard (because they can't hop the fence, or look on google maps), hope the lot next door is included, pay $220k for a house because they can maybe make $12K, etc. etc."

I don't think so.

Ben Forstie

Phoenix, Arizona

May 01, 11:51 AM

I recently attended a seminar in Las Vegas hosted by Joel Block. It was probably one of the best I have been too. I have been to many and you leave wondering why you went!

Just do as much homework as you can and make an educated decision if it will benefit what you do. If not, don't go!

Robert Adams Donor

Real Estate Investor from Las Vegas, Nevada

May 01, 01:10 PM
1 vote

Please save your money and attend the FREE REI groups held around you local area.

These self proclaimed gurus make it rich of seminars etc. Save you money for real estate investments and not some get rich quick scheme. I have been successful in real estate for a long time and I have never needed one of these gurus help in doing so.

If you choose to go good luck I hope it is worth your money but I would advise against it. Good luck either way!

Medium_rothwell_gornt_logo_smallRobert Adams, The Adams Team at Rothwell Gornt Co.
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 702-349-9175
Broker (Las Vegas NV) (Massachusetts) & (Rhode Island) MArealestateHELP.com RIrealestateHELP.com

Ellen Lin

Bridgewater, New Jersey

May 15, 10:25 AM
1 vote

Totally agree with Robert, local REI group can provide much better education and you don't have to spend too much money. This "Private Pre-Auction Event" is the same as Dean Grasziosi's program, they just pomp you to buy their expensive education which is not that useful.

Valinda Horstman

Bonney Lake, Washington

May 20, 05:32 PM

I went to the three day seminar. Was taught by Marc Hrisko. I paid $2000, they promised that would get my money back if I followed their plan and did not get positive cash flow deal in the next 90 days. I did not bite on the larger sales pitch which the lowest priced was about $20,000. I did learn a ton. But I did not know about this website. Oh well, my first business write off. But actively starting my plan and motivated to make real estate my career.

Joe Gore

Dallas, Texas

May 20, 06:14 PM

If Doug Hopkins is the real deal, he should show someone in real time how his snake oil will work.

Joe Gore

Bella Fang

San Luis Obispo, California

Jul 17, 11:01 PM

@valinda , I came across your post about the 3 day seminar and am so glad that I did! I'm still within the 3 day refund period!

I attended the free pre-auction event TODAY and they hooked me with the $500k funding for investment. Is that part too good to be true? I'm guessing it is.

I saw that your post was from May, am wondering if you've had success in replicating their strategy or successful in getting a refund per the guarantee certificate?

I also purchased the Tax Lien Vault for $997... Wondering if you did as well?

Like yourself I'm also looking to launch my real estate career.... But it'll be hard if I keep making costly mistakes!

Thank you so much for any advice you can share about your experience with the seminar.  

George Harris

Los Angeles, California

Jul 19, 10:54 PM

I too attended 2 day of a 3 day seminar with  in LA....They asked me to put $70,000 on my credit card by tomorrow, to attend they boot camp and for mentoring...

Dwight Threet

Hope Mills, North Carolina

Jul 20, 12:59 PM

I'm attending his seminar at the end of the month.  Did anyone get the free stuff they offer or does that come when you sign up for the $$$$$$$ package.

Bob Dunas Raleigh has an excellent REI group.  I'm a member of the Fayetteville REI and when you join either group you have access to the other.....

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums