• Investor
  • Belgrade, MT
Votes |
stock investing book suggestions

Patrick McGowen
  • Investor
  • Belgrade, MT
Posted Feb 13 2014, 17:22

I know this is real estate forum, but I am looking for good suggestions on stock market investing book(s). I figure suggestions from this group are less likely to follow typical financial advice of buy and hold mutual funds in an IRA (or some similar mediocre approach).

Here is the reason. My teenage son wants to invest in stocks. He was given some Disney stock as a gift about 10 years ago. This has been great as he tracks the price, sees the dividend each year, etc. Along with these stocks and consistently saving 10% of any money he earns, he has a little to work with (about $1500). With the stock market probably being overpriced I suggested he take a more active role in investing. No time like the present to start learning and why not make mistakes now when his losses will be small. Since I am real estate focused, we started reading Scruggs book on mobile homes together and I was going to help him get into his first real estate investment with a local mobile home. We got about half way through the book and have come to realization that he is just not interested in real estate and wants to invest in stocks. So many strategies, penny stocks, day trading, options… I have very little knowledge of stocks and want to get a good book or two for him to learn on his own.

How do I educate my son on stock investing? Please help.

Loading replies...