BiggerPockets

What to expect with Scott Yancey?

21 posts by 16 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Michele Fischer

Duplex Investor from Longview, Washington

Apr 24 '13, 06:44 PM

My husband and I enjoy watching Flipping Vegas with Scott Yancey. When we saw that his program was coming to our area, we preregistered, thinking it could be an evening of entertainment. I don't see any way he could suck us in, so is it rude to even go? I didn't see anything about him here; anyone have ideas on what to expect, or whether to go? Thanks in advance...

Raymond B.

Real Estate Investor from Wallingford, Connecticut

Apr 25 '13, 09:34 AM
1 vote

@Michele Fischer,
I used a search engine, and here is what I found:
http://reviewopedia.com/scott-yancey-reviews

I also found this information about him, at this forum:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/79/topics/75902-3-day-real-estate-seminar

It appears that he is just like a lot of the other guru's, that try and get you to spend many thousands of $$$ for his product.

It is not rude to go. Don't ever feel that way.
You may learn something, take notes.
Go back home, and search this site, concerning any information that you obtained at that event.

Make sure that you Don't take your credit cards/check book, to this event.

Raymond

Eric Hettena

Real Estate Investor from Los Angeles, California

Apr 25 '13, 09:40 AM

Michele, please do your due diligence on any program you buy from gurus. Are there good ones that are worth investing in, probably, but many are just trying to get money from the vulnerable. As Raymond said, go and have fun, just leave your money/bank cards at home.

Rob K

Real Estate Investor from Michigan

Apr 25 '13, 09:44 AM

I enjoy Scott Yancey's show, although I'm sure it's probably staged. I wonder if he gets all of his materials for free since he plugs Walker Zanger so many times in the show.

I would expect he will try and sell you some over-priced boot camp for thousands of dollars.

Robert Wright

Renter from Las Vegas, Nevada

May 03 '13, 11:11 AM

I actually attended this free seminar the other day. The teaching portion talks about wholesaling concepts. They also talk about tax liens. The main focus is on buying their boot camp, which if you act now you can get some discounts, etc. One advantage of the boot camp is they will be your "money", for a 2 pts rate and $500. Of course they have final approval of the deal.

It's a well put together presentation, and they did manage to sign up about a third of the room it looked like. The first 9 got a certificate that basically paid them their boot camp cost back once they made their first deal. They would walk you through your first deal from start to finish, which did appeal to me being a complete newbie. They provide a number of "teams" that are available for different parts of the deal process.

I didn't find anything sleazy or hidden away in this presentation. They were upfront about having to make money to be your mentor.

This is what brought me to this site, doing my due diligence. I've watched at least 30 of these "guru" presentations during my research. If I were a successful investor, and star of a tv show, I would probably do the same to increase my earnings.

Maurice Reese

Bird-dogger from Hattiesburg, Mississippi

May 03 '13, 11:20 AM

Go Go Go! One of the things about going to events is to make friends. Yes you can learn stuff but, you can learn all you need to know about real estate investing here on the forums. Go and meet other liked minded people and it would be better knowing that you not alone in this real estate game. Then you have investor that you can work with.

Steve Babiak

Real Estate Investor from Audubon, Pennsylvania

May 03 '13, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by @Robert Wright:
... The first 9 got a certificate that basically paid them their boot camp cost back once they made their first deal. They would walk you through your first deal from start to finish, which did appeal to me being a complete newbie. ...

Robert Wright -
So, how long of a time period are you given to find that first deal, in order to get reimbursed for cost of the "training"?

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Robert Wright

Renter from Las Vegas, Nevada

May 03 '13, 12:57 PM

Robert Wright -
So, how long of a time period are you given to find that first deal, in order to get reimbursed for cost of the "training"?

@Steve Babiak - I'm not exactly sure of a "time limit" as that was probably discussed with the individuals. I do believe 12 months was mentioned but I wouldn't quote me on that. I also vaguely recall the reimbursement or credit was issued in $100 "coupons". Since these 9 bonus packages were grabbed up so quickly not a lot of time or discussion was spent on them.

Michele Fischer

May 04 '13, 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the info! We ended up having a conflict and weren't able to attend. I'm sure it would have been an interesting evening.

Mike Brooks

North Bend, Washington

Nov 08 '13, 10:29 PM

Wife and I went to Scott's Dog and Pony show. They were pretty upfront about costs. We did not sign-up for $2K seminar and didn't hang around to check the "fine print".

Curious, anyone else here go to the show and did the trainer kick someone out of their class for not being enthusiastic enough? That happened at our forum but I smelled a "plant"!

Charles H.

Los Angeles, California

Feb 09, 09:41 AM

Anyone else go to the freebie in Torrance, CA yesterday? I left after about 3-1/2 hours, losing out on my "free gifts" in the process.

Scott himself was not present, of course. One presenter "Trent" provided some very basic strategies about a few flip concepts. Scary to see here that the "additional training" is in the $40K range...yikes.

What really confused me was their "no credit" loan process. Trent said that if you can't find a buyer for your flip house, you can "walk away." What kind of "loan" is that? Seems like hard money. Does your credit get wrecked or are they basically turning the students into prospectors to dig up distressed sales which the Partnership then snakes for themselves?

The tax liens were interesting, but it had a $1,500 "membership" for access. The presenter was one of the slickest guys I have ever seen. I was just marveling at his manipulative presentation style. I just looked up my 401K. I've been doing 12.52% since 2009 with pre-tax dollars, so I don't know if an 18% lien beats that.

Updated: 09:58AM, 02/09/2014

A very useful review that I just found, consistent with my experience: http://wafflesatnoon.com/2014/01/07/scott-yancey-seminar-review/

Updated: 10:01AM, 02/09/2014

I would be pissed if I paid $2,000 for a three-day sales pitch for $40K worth of "mentoring"

Edited Feb 9 2014, 10:01 by Charles H.

Charles H.

Los Angeles, California

Feb 09, 10:05 AM

Oh, and there are zero chances for questions from the audience. Probably because there is a risk of exposing them on an issue for which they don't have some slick prepared answer.

Pat L.

Real Estate Investor from New York

Feb 09, 10:22 AM
1 vote

We went to one as a favor for a young couple who were interested & convinced it was what they needed to get motivated !!!!

We left when they took a break to allow a large number of the crowd to storm the sign up desk to cash in on the great deals they were offering.

To this day it amazes me how many people fall for the hype.

Several months later the young couple we attended with have yet to complete a deal.

Wayne Woodson

Real Estate Investor from Nashville, Tennessee

Feb 12, 02:39 PM

You know what I always say...

"When in doubt, just walk out".

-Wayne

Kurt Alderson

Gilbert, Arizona

Apr 24, 01:50 PM

I received a flyer in the mail for a free event, so I registered with a buddy of mine. We went to the seminar and it was really just a 4-hour long infomercial selling their 3-day workshop for $2,000. Since I have always been interested in real estate, after talking with my wife, my friend and I decided to go to the workshop.

After the workshop, I read a lot of reviews about Yancey Events and what to expect in the workshop and from what I read, the information they provide is in a multitude of places on the internet for free. They tout their "system" when in reality their "system" is just moving from one avenue to another if the first isn't working. I wasn't really impressed with that, so I opted not to purchase their even bigger products ($20k up to $60k). One of the first things they had us do on Day 1 is to call all our credit card companies and increase the limits, then tell everyone in the group of our success. They did this so on Day 3 when they tell us about the extra products they have that cost $20k up to $60k, we now have the available credit to purchase it. Clever.

They offered each of us a meeting with a "personal consultant" (aka, personal salesman) where we talked about our goals and which of their products is best suited for us that we need to purchase. We opted not to purchase anything, so I received calls from them for a couple weeks incessantly trying to set up a conference call with my business partner to sell us the same things. After about 3 calls I told them I wasn't interested into going into any more debt just to get our business off the ground, but after we make some money, we would revisit the idea. His response was very abrasive "Well you know you can't make money unless you spend money, right? Do you want to be successful or not?" I was so turned off by that, I got a little snippy and hung up on him. Haven't heard from them since, which is just fine.

They do offer a $2,000 tuition reimbursement for completing your first deal as an incentive to get moving and they give you 100 days to do this. My first flip is in escrow now and won't likely close until after my 100 days is up, so I don't think I'll get that reimbursement, but my business partners and I have agreed to refund my $2k out of the profits from our first deal.

So all in all, was it worth it? For me, the answer is YES and here's why. Since I'm a newbie and I learn better in a classroom setting, I felt like I learned a lot by attending the three day workshop. I know I could have gotten that information by trolling the internet for countless hours, but I don't have the free time or knowledge to know what to search and where for all they presented. So for that alone, it was worth it for me. What it also did for me was provide me the motivation to actually do something! I've been thinking about getting into REI for a while, but this actually kicked me in the butt and got me going. It got my brain into high gear and got me very excited to start making moves instead of just talking about it. To me, that motivation was key to getting started.

So that was my experience with Yancey Events 3-Day Workshop. Hope this helps anyone who's thinking about attending!

Kurt

Michele Fischer

Apr 24, 05:04 PM

Thanks for sharing, Kurt. Doesn't sound like anything I'd benefit from. There is so much free advice in books and on BiggerPockets. Glad it was your instigator to get started though; you're right, it takes a lot of time to troll for and pull together the free resources. Wishing you success.

Charles H.

Los Angeles, California

Apr 30, 09:01 AM

Nice post, Kurt. I was surprised by your conclusion, but I'm glad that you found sufficient content and motivation to feel like you got good value for your $2,000. Best of luck in the game!

Ryan M.

West, Michigan

May 13, 09:04 AM

Most staged show ever, funny how they run in and put caution tape up and unscrew hinges.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums