Votes
Rob Padilla
  • Allen, TX
Votes |
Guru's, Sean Terry's Flip2Freedom and the people who hate them

Rob Padilla
  • Allen, TX
Posted May 3 2013, 12:27

I've been learning from Bigger Pockets for about two months now. I find it is by far the best place to come for expert information on Real Estate and it seems that there is no question I have that hasn't been answered on this website. With that being said, I'd like to address the "Guru" hatred on here and try to get some of you to see this from another point of view.

I am an autoworker employed by a major car manufacturer in Texas. I remember the day I found out I got hired. My dad (also an autoworker) was waiting for me in his driveway to tell me the news. He ran up to me excited and gave me a big hug and said "You hit the lottery!". We were so happy. $28 an hour, full benefits and a retirement package. Not bad for a 25 yr old kid from Youngstown, Oh. My uncle was in town that day to visit my mother. He was in the driveway watching this all go down. As I hugged my dad, I looked over his shoulder to see confusion on this mans face. In that moment I thought he was just being cold. You see, he's an MIT graduate, has his own consulting firm and, in my opinion at the time, a snob. Still, that picture has always been in my mind. Why did he look so confused?

Fast forward 14 years. I'm a grown man and my company is staring down bankruptcy. I may loose my job and I have no business skills. Off to college I go! The economy crashes and the reality of a middle aged man just finishing college and competing with a younger generation hits me like a brick. What do I do? I still have my job but now I realize how much I am at the mercy of this company. Without it, I am toast! I settle down and assess my situation. What skills do I have? What's my exit strategy if anything happens?

Over the past 20 years I've been fixing up every home I have ever lived in. I have really good remodeling skills. Home Depot has been my playground. So I started researching Fix and Flip investing. I realized in doing this that I had no idea the amount of business skills that you need to make an informed decision about a property in order to make a profit. So I start attending REI meetings and reading the BiggerPockets forum. Wholesaling as a way to fund your investments? I'm hooked! The only problem is, I'm all over the place. I read about wholesaling and something comes up about HUD homes. I read about HUD homes and then off I go reading about Ali Boone's adventures in Nicaragua. I need to focus on something and start taking action.

Enter Sean Terry and his Flip2Freedom podcast. Sure there's a ton of information on the podcast. Combined with BiggerPockets, how can anyone not learn everything about wholesaling? Well here is the problem. I don't have a business mind. I am surrounded everyday by people who are content in making $28 an hour and I have no idea how the business world works, what it takes to be an entrepreneur, or even have one friend who cares. For a measly $500, I have an opportunity to get a step by step education on this subject. This is cheep compared to what I'm paying for college courses. I now understand the psychology behind this business. I never expected a guaranteed deal when I signed up for this and none ever promised it. As a matter of fact, all I hear is "get off my butt and take action". There's a post in here about his "Lightning Fast 5K Formula". It gets talked about like it's a guarantee when in the first minute he say it's for anyone having trouble with analysis paralysis. It's a call to action and people are taking it out of context.

I know this is long winded but I feel as a "noob", I have a responsibility to address this while I am still in this mindset. In closing, I challenge any of you who hate "guru's" to do me one favor. Here is my email address----> [REMOVED] If you can give me HTML code for an awesome squeeze page, take me through houses and show me how to assess repair costs, let me listen in on your phone calls from potential leads, show me how to rank in Google Adwords, provide a private Facebook page where hundreds of people new and experienced push me along and answer any question I have within second for free, then email me your phone number and I will definitely call you and it will be deeply appreciated. If not, well I'll stick with my "Guru" until I get a good footing.

P.S. My marketing is in full swing and I hope to be a valuable part of this forum in the very near future. I took action. I will succeed!

Loading replies...