BiggerPockets

I Need A Mobile Office Setup!

Forum Powered By:

35 posts by 11 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Ibrahim Hughes

Real Estate Investor from Union, New Jersey

Dec 29 '12, 11:11 PM

Hi All - I need to upgrade my technological capabilities as it relates to real estate. Specifically I need to be able to edit, print and sign contracts on the go. I know a tablet must be a part of the plan and I'm assuming something that's wireless? Will I need a wireless printer as well? Should my tablet come with a usb port? Any recommended models?

Bottom line, I need to be able to conduct online research, print direct mail as well as edit and print purchase and sale contracts on the go (while in a seller's living room).

Any suggestions?

Medium_webuynj_realestate_dotcom_2014Ibrahim Hughes, We Buy NJ Real Estate LLC
We Buy NJ Real Estate, LLC www.WeBuyNJRealEstate.com [email protected]

Xing Zhu

Durham, North Carolina

Dec 29 '12, 11:22 PM

A ultra slim notebook is cool. A tablet is not a computer. You need to subscribe a wireless internet service as well.

Manuel Acuna

Rehabber from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Dec 29 '12, 11:32 PM

Well since it's an on-the-go type setup you need, you'll probably want:

1. A tablet computer - Either an iPad or an Asus Transformer. I can't recommend a Windows tablet as I haven't used one yet. If you want my opinion, I'd go with the Transformer, but the iPad is a great decision as well.

2. A editing and printing app. I know they have printer apps for Android tablets (the Asus Transformer) but I've never checked for the iPad but I'm sure they do.

3. A mobile printer.

***You will need your tablet to be 3G capable or buy a WiFi hotspot from a cell phone company. Alternatively (and this may be hard if you're not technically inclined but I thought I'd mention it anyway) you root your iPhone/Android phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S3) and use it as a Wifi Hotspot for free, as buying/paying for the service is fairly expensive, at least for me.***

How's that sound?

Manuel Acuna

Rehabber from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Dec 29 '12, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Xing Zhu:
A ultra slim notebook is cool. A tablet is not a computer. You need to subscribe a wireless internet service as well.

I agree, the ultra slims are really awesome! My tablet can do everything my PC can though. Except have multiple things running on the same screen (which seems like they're working on that now though for Android's....)

This may be a better option if you want a little more bulk for more familiarity as you can get a ultra thin Windows or OSX(?) computer as opposed to using the Android OS or the iPad OS.

Great idea!

Ibrahim Hughes

Dec 30 '12, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Xing Zhu:

Thanks Xing - But I want to avoid having to use something as 'long' (when you flip it open) as a laptop. I think a tablet is perfect. All I want to do is basic editing (and some drafting if necessary) of documents (mainly letters and contracts), surf the web and maybe scan/print docs.

Ibrahim Hughes

Dec 30 '12, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Manuel Acuna:
Well since it's an on-the-go type setup you need, you'll probably want:

1. A tablet computer - Either an iPad or an Asus Transformer. I can't recommend a Windows tablet as I haven't used one yet. If you want my opinion, I'd go with the Transformer, but the iPad is a great decision as well.

2. A editing and printing app. I know they have printer apps for Android tablets (the Asus Transformer) but I've never checked for the iPad but I'm sure they do.

3. A mobile printer.

***You will need your tablet to be 3G capable or buy a WiFi hotspot from a cell phone company. Alternatively (and this may be hard if you're not technically inclined but I thought I'd mention it anyway) you root your iPhone/Android phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S3) and use it as a Wifi Hotspot for free, as buying/paying for the service is fairly expensive, at least for me.***

How's that sound?

Thanks Manuel this is exactly what I was looking for. I forgot I also want to scan at times so I assume a droid phone should be able to take nice pics and handle that (too embarrassed to tell you what I have now but it's basically the cell version of a rotary phone). Will likely go with Android or windows tablets (must/should have a usb port) as opposed to an ipad. And I am technically inclined so will tether my cell phone as a wifi for the tablet. Verizon Wireless' tablets and accompanying service are way overpriced imo. Thanks again man.

Anyone else?

David Niles

Real Estate Investor from Buffalo, New York

Dec 30 '12, 11:41 AM
1 vote

Ibrahim S Your ending statement answered what I was going to add, you dont need expensive add on plans, there are many apps that allow you to use your smartphone for a hotspot as you eluded to.

Ibrahim Hughes

Dec 30 '12, 12:19 PM

Thanks @David Niles. Didn't know there were apps for this. Verizon wireless charges $20/mo. Are you saying there are apps (free or otherwise) that allow this without paying VW?

Karen Margrave Moderator

Developer from Orange County, California

Dec 30 '12, 12:40 PM
1 vote

Does it need to have 3G/4G capabilities, will you need to use it as a laptop at times or will you just be doing basic stuff with it, etc.? Do you need to connect via wi fi or wireless network through your cell phone carrier (my son uses the mobile hot spot on his phone)

My son, Michael, has been doing extensive research on these lately as he needs to get a tablet too for much of the same uses. He's narrowed it down to the Asus or the Microsoft surface. He definitely doesn't like the ipad, nor does my daughter that uses it for her job (she's an education coordinator for major costmetics manufacturer).

Also, I believe both of those models have options for a keyboard that is removable so that you can use as a tablet or laptop.

Medium_tmg2Karen Margrave, The Margrave Group
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 949-933-3955
Licensed Brokers & General Contractors R.E. Developers (Parlay Investments). Orange County CA

David Niles

Real Estate Investor from Buffalo, New York

Dec 30 '12, 12:54 PM
1 vote

If you have an Android phone, try the free app, Foxfi, uses your 3 or 4g from your phone and is fast.

Ibrahim Hughes

Dec 30 '12, 12:54 PM

Yes Karen M. thanks to Manuel I'm looking at both the Asus and the Surface. Will use it with the cell and at public wifi spots. Just looking to do basic stuff with it. I don't do too much more than basic stuff with my laptop which is my main PC. I know a lot of folks download music and videos/movies but I don't typically do it. Hearing a lot of bad reviews on the ipad. Many having to do with folks being stuck in their cycle of costly upgrades (i.e. memory not expandable) or just an overpriced gadget. Thanks for responding.

Ibrahim Hughes

Dec 30 '12, 12:55 PM

Thanks David!

Xing Zhu

Durham, North Carolina

Dec 30 '12, 01:23 PM

I have also dreamed of building a mobile trading office.
The idea is to take a van or a SUV with three rows of seats, and remove the middle row to set up a trading environment with four 27" monitors and two slim (desktop) computers each with 8 cores or more.

Karen Margrave Moderator

Dec 30 '12, 01:52 PM

Actually, Michael was researching them for all of us. He's decided we are going with the Surface. For our needs it will work good, though it doesn't have as long of a battery use as the Asus, but when the Surface Pro comes out Michael's getting that because of the resolution, he needs for graphics, etc.

E-Mail: ka[email protected]
Licensed Brokers & General Contractors R.E. Developers (Parlay Investments). Orange County CA

Ibrahim Hughes

Dec 30 '12, 06:26 PM

Interesting Karen M. - If you don't mind me asking, what are your needs that caused you to choose the Surface over the Asus?

Eric Thomson

SFR Investor from Conroe, Texas

Dec 31 '12, 12:31 AM

Ibrahim, I love my iPad (on it right now) but I find it to be pretty restrictive for my real estate needs. Actually, I find the sites I typically use are restrictive. For instance, my MLS back end only works on Internet Explorer. And it's not some po-dunk MLS, this is Houston! They have a new one in Beta but even it does not work on the iPad. I am not familiar with Windows 8 yet but i do know you can open 2 screens at once. Printing comes standard and is not a luxury only if you have the right printer (not sure how the ipad or even an Android would do with your mobile printing. The printer and tablet would both have to be connected to wifi, and i dont know of any android tablets that have usb. Windows 8 tablet would give you option to do usb or wifi. I know there are plenty of apps on iPad that allow you to upload a contract and can be filled out and signed right on the iPad. I'm sure something will be available for windows 8. As far as the two versions, you would probably only need the RT version vs the Pro version. RT is more for a tablet and Pro more like a laptop. This is my plan anyway. Keep us posted on what you choose and how it works out because I'm very interested in figuring it out for myself too.

Shannon M.

Real Estate Investor from Columbus , Ohio

Dec 31 '12, 04:40 AM
1 vote

If you are thinking about the Surface, which I am, make sure you research the difference between the Surface RT and the Surface Pro. RT is a striped down operating system that does not run your existing software. Pro, which is supposed to come out in January, runs a full Windows 8 OS. I am leaning toward the Surface Pro.

Telephone: 614-747-2705
Shannon Martin Martin Brother's Team Keller Williams Consultants Realty

Ibrahim Hughes

Dec 31 '12, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by @Eric Thomson:
Ibrahim, I love my iPad (on it right now) but I find it to be pretty restrictive for my real estate needs. Actually, I find the sites I typically use are restrictive. For instance, my MLS back end only works on Internet Explorer. And it's not some po-dunk MLS, this is Houston! They have a new one in Beta but even it does not work on the iPad. I am not familiar with Windows 8 yet but i do know you can open 2 screens at once. Printing comes standard and is not a luxury only if you have the right printer (not sure how the ipad or even an Android would do with your mobile printing. The printer and tablet would both have to be connected to wifi, and i dont know of any android tablets that have usb. Windows 8 tablet would give you option to do usb or wifi. I know there are plenty of apps on iPad that allow you to upload a contract and can be filled out and signed right on the iPad. I'm sure something will be available for windows 8. As far as the two versions, you would probably only need the RT version vs the Pro version. RT is more for a tablet and Pro more like a laptop. This is my plan anyway. Keep us posted on what you choose and how it works out because I'm very interested in figuring it out for myself too.

Eric the Surface has a usb port. Just not sure how many printers would work with it (assuming I don't get a wifi printer). Also I'm assuming Adobe acrobat (AA) would work on the surface and allow you to sign documents. AA is what a friend of mine uses on his Samsung Galaxy 10.1 when he has sellers sign contracts right on the spot.

Eric Thomson

SFR Investor from Conroe, Texas

Dec 31 '12, 07:44 AM

Since it is Windows just about any printer should work via USB. It would obviously be best over wifi. If you are going to use a mobile hotspot, rather than the connection built into the tablet, then this should be easy to do. And the printer will not use any of your data plan. I'm not sure what Adobe has out yet that is touchscreen for Win 8, but you can bet it's several hundred dollars. There will probably be other great options through the Windows App Store.

Karen Margrave Moderator

Dec 31 '12, 08:42 AM

Ibrahim S I think the reason he's decided on the Surface over the Asus is the Surface has higher resolution. We are real estate developers, and view renderings and pictures. Also, with the Pro version I believe it has a stylus, that way on jobs if there are changes to a detail, stairs, walls, or ? he can draw them.

The upside of the Asus is that it has longer battery life. Either one is a great product in my opinion.

E-Mail: [email protected]

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums