Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
N.A N.A
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Having trouble at new leased apartment (Any input will be much appreciated)

N.A N.A
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Feb 22 2014, 18:22

In the last week of November my girlfriend and I walked through a brand new apartment and instantly fell in love with it. Everything is brand new (appliances, hardwood floors, etc). We asked the landlord the normal questions while doing the walk through... How is the insulation, the neighborhood, are the neighbors noisy, etc. Keep in mind this is a second floor apartment... So he goes on to tell us that the third floor tenants were not moving in until the following weekend but noise will not be a problem. He tell us that the place is fully insulated and the upstairs will be occupied by three people... Two adults and a child.

We end up signing a one year lease (giving him first, last and a security deposit up front) The rent per month is $1500.... Fast forward to now... It has been an absolute disaster...Here are the problems...

-Anytime someone walks above us we can hear it... .Loud and clear

- The kid is constantly running back and forth all hours of the night and it sounds like a stampede of rhinos is living above us.. (I work from home so I hear it from 7AM - 11PM on avg every single night)

- The kid is constantly dropping toys, slamming his toy box, etc which creates loud noises.

- Whenever they leave a phone on the floor and its on vibrate our ceiling pretty much vibrates with the phone.

- The kid constantly screams and yells and it sounds like he is in our apartment

- The adults that live up there work all different hours... One of them comes home at 3AM every night and I assume he is taking off his shoes and drops them and wakes us up every single night.

- Since they all work different hours the kid does not live on normal kid hours. He is sometimes up until 3 or 4am playing.

On top of all of this there are five people living above us not three. A father, son daughter, cousin and the daughter's child who is 2 or 3 at the oldest. So the landlord lied to our face about the amount of tenants that would be living above us.

We have complained numerous times to the tenants and to the landlord. Providing the landlord with video of the noise, showing him text messages that we have sent to the above tenants asking them to calm the kid down, etc.

The landlord just keeps saying that he will talk to the tenants but nothing ever changes. We have only been here for three months and really can't live another 9 months like this. For $1500 a month I don't think we should be putting up with this sort of thing

Is there anything I can do? Any input would really help.

Thanks

Loading replies...