Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Catherine W.
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Inherited Renter Issues in Low Income Neighborhood!

Catherine W.
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Sep 7 2014, 16:07
Need some major help here! My husband and I closed on our duplex mid-August. One side is empty (we'll call it side #1, which we are currently rehabbing), and the other side, side #2, had tenants in it but they are in progress of moving out. We were planning on starting work to the other side this week. Here's where it gets interesting. We were working on side #1 of the house earlier today, and a guy came up to the back door. (Background: We had previously met this guy last week, and he introduced himself as a plumber who the side #2 tenants called because their water had been shut off due to a pipe issue on side #1 (we have one meter). At the time, we explained to him that WE were the landlords, not the tenants on side #2. In any event this plumber came in and quickly fixed the water issue and discussed what he would charge for all of the plumbing updating we needed in our house. We were going to be in touch. He seemed like a nice, knowledgeable guy. End background) So this guy comes back and he says "I don't know if you know this, but me and my two girlfriends (yes, he has 2) had paid $300 to rent a room in the side #1 tenants' side for a month. Your tenant posted a craigslist add for one of the bedrooms and we paid your tenant $300 on Aug. 28. We've been there for a week, and now he's telling us we need to leave and isn't trying to offer any kind of a refund. We wanted to talk to you to see if there's anything we can work out. We'd be willing to do any work you need help with - I know plumbing, we can tear up the old carpet - etc free of charge if you'll just let us stay for a little longer. I need to go to Detroit for the week for work and I just can't let my girls out on the street and paying 250-300 for a hotel isn't an option right now..." We were totally shocked and had a "wtf" moment. We have no idea any of this was going on. We feel like our tenants really screwed us- they had been SO nice and cooperative to our face this whole time and never mentioned a thing about this arrangement. As a matter of fact, the wife said they guy was her uncle! We clearly know that's not true. We don't know what to do. On the one hand, it would be nice to have some free plumbing. On the other hand, we have no idea who these people are. And we didn't choose them! Keep in mind this is a low income neighborhood, and on our block, from what we can tell there are lots of characters. Also, a week after we moved in someone firebombed an apartment across the street after being evicted. Apparently he wanted to get back at the landlord. So all things considered, what do we do?! What's the best way to handle this situation?

Loading replies...