Votes
Joe D.
  • Springfield, PA
Votes |
Best way to negotiate rent and terms

Joe D.
  • Springfield, PA
Posted Sep 22 2014, 06:21

Hey all, I'm on the other side of the fence and need to rent a property while I'm in between homes. I thought I'd ask for some recommendations on the best way to approach getting the right lease term and price. Beings I'm in between homes I really don't want to lock into a 12 month lease and miss the next spring market for my chance to buy a new home. At the same time, I know landlords usually prefer to have a tenant that's going to stick around and don't want to jeopardize not getting the rental because they think I'll leave too soon. I already mentioned short term leasing to one owner at a rental property that I liked and he basically had no interest in renting to me after that. So should I mention anything about preferring to get a 6 month lease then month to month after that or no?

Secondly, price. I know I can only do one of the other but most of the owners near me are negotiable with their rent price. I was thinking of negotiating slightly and not mentioning anything abut being locked into 12 months and hope they will let me out early if I can give them a 60 days notice. 

Any suggestions or input?

Loading replies...