Votes
Sabino Gonzalez
  • Clute, TX
Votes |
How do I handle this next time? Unreasonable renters

Sabino Gonzalez
  • Clute, TX
Posted Sep 29 2014, 19:54

I've been doing this since 2010 and have been buying a few props every yr. I'm currently at 7 but I still feel like a beginner. Anyway after seeing how much I paid management company I decided to manage a few myself. I have 3 and company 4 units. 

Anyway a young couple with 4 yr old moved in about 4 months ago with 650 rent and 500 deposit. She is also about 8 months prego as of today. At the beginning of September they paid 560 and said rest of rent would be paid following pay day. I said ok....pay day came and went no rent no answer to text.

Last Monday she calls and says "please take me off lease my boyfriend quit job 2 weeks ago and won't pay any bills or buy diapers. I already moved most of my stuff out. The power and water to property also got cut off due to lack of payment. He won't answer anyone's calls or text. Please give me a few days to pick up final items. " 

On Thursday she said key was left underfloor mat and oh by the way my sister in law spilled bait shrimp on floor several days ago and no one cleaned up!!!!

Thursday night I go clean up rotting raw shrimp from kitchen floor and house is full of dirty clothes and old mattresses on floor. I leave by dumping entire bottle of pine sol on floor to get rid of smell. And entire bottle of Lysol . Friday at lunch I do the same. On Sunday morning I take a 14 foot landscape trailer and fill it with all the crap they left with intent to take to dump but the rain prevented that. Now trailer is full and sitting in an empty lot of mine. 

Today she texts saying she wants to pick up some items...I tell they are gone....she starts to say she is calling cops and I didn't give her eviction notice and all the other eviction requirements. 

She now wants me to drive trailer full of stuff to her moms house so she can sift through and get clothes or whatever other stuff and then I take it to dump. 

So they trash the place, owe rent, text me that they are out, cut off utilities and expected me to just leave their stuff there......

I told her I did not evict you.......you broke the lease and left.....I have right to clean my property when you abandon it

What did I do wrong? Does she have any basis to her argument? What should I do next time? This entire time bf never responded to text or calls

Thanks

Loading replies...