• Investor
  • Alsip, IL
Votes |
Lease Option Tenant

Shannon Elam
  • Investor
  • Alsip, IL
Posted Oct 29 2014, 11:19

I have an interested lessee to do a lease with option to buy agreement. We ran a background check with a tenant screening website on both the husband and wife. The both have credit scores between 520 and 550. Their income is greater than 2.5x the rent (I'm waiting for check stubs to see if that's net or gross) and they have no evictions. 

The do have some collections on their reports that could be a bit alarming, but the wife has informed me of her efforts to repair her credit and has even offered documentation. 

The terms of our lease option are $5000 down/$1600 per month/$200 per month towards mortgage. We settled on $5000/$1550/$100. After we dragged our feet on moving forward (waiting on a buyer) they offered me $6000/$1550/$100 to show they were serious and motivated. 

Is there anything further we should do to vet this tenant? My partner and I, unfortunately, have different opinions about the tenant's history. I think they are a good candidate. He thinks not. I don't want us to make a decision based on emotion considering that we do not have experience as landlords, yet. 

What would you do?

Loading replies...