Votes
Rachel Lamory
  • Allison Park, PA
Votes |
Tenants son having many people at apartment constantly

Rachel Lamory
  • Allison Park, PA
Posted Mar 31 2015, 15:56

Hi, this is my first post here, thank you for any help you can give me, in advance! 

We have a duplex that we rent out.  There is a single bedroom unit on the first floor, and a three bedroom unit taking over the top two floors.  This is a very nice building in an area that is going through redevelopment.  The building was completely remodeled when we bought it 6 years ago. 

The big upstairs unit is rented to a woman who is very nice, and always pays her rent on time.  When she signed the lease, my husband specified that she and her son were the only ones allowed to live there. 

Recently, we've been hearing that she is staying elsewhere for long periods of time, and her son basically lives there alone (he is old enough at 18 or so) with many people constantly coming and going.  We've been told that they are up and loud until 3-4am. 

We talked to the mother about the noise issue, and she talked to her son, but he is acting out and slamming doors etc when he knows the first floor tenant is home.  Previously, we had to deal with the son smoking pot in the common area, but that seems to have stopped upon our request.  Pretty sure the group he is hanging with is not a bunch of upstanding citizens. 

The upstairs tenant that we are having issues with has her lease coming up soon, but she wants to renew.  We were happy to renew, until we heard about this new situation.

My husband was considering just raising the rent to accommodate all of these people, with the other option being to just refuse to renew. 

It's a little scary having both units open at once (first floor tenant is leaving this month, her lease is up). We also will have to replace the carpets (the sons room is COVERED in stains), and it's going to be pretty pricey. The upstairs unit is bigger than many SFH, so getting it ready will be a decent sum.

My other thought, was what if we put them on a month-to-month?  Then, if we hear anything about this continuing to be a problem, we can just not renew. 

Here is my list of pros and cons for each issue:

Raising rent:

Pros: more rent, will not replace carpets right now, won't be empty, less hassle
Cons: If this pattern continues, we will not be able to attract quality tenants downstairs, and the place will lose it's value overall.   Potential for damage to the house done by these kids.  

Not renewing:

Pros:  Headache over with, can probably raise rent a bit
Cons: Cost to get place rentable, having both units empty at once, dealing with potential fallout from angry son, potentially purposefully causing damage.

Month to Month:

Pros: Can potentially keep us from having both units empty, can choose to not renew as soon as it's clear the problem won't be solved, won't require an eviction if things go awry. 
Cons: concerns of property damage still apply. 

If we do choose to do month to month, should we be explicit in why we are taking this route?  The hope would be that the mother would take this seriously in this case?

What are your thoughts?  Thanks in advance!  

Loading replies...