Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Korzeniowski
  • Investor
  • Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Votes |
Never bought before; Moving to a new location; Duplex?

Cameron Korzeniowski
  • Investor
  • Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Posted Jul 19 2015, 17:07

Hello from South Jersey, my name's Cameron and this is my first official post on BiggerPockets. I'm looking for some advice regarding my first property.

I'm soon going to be moving to Naples, FL due to my job relocating, and I was looking into renting when in one of the webinars someone mentioned buying a duplex, renting one of the spaces, and living in the other. I think it's a great idea, and I could likely cover 75% of my mortgage payment with rent, I'm just kind of at a loss as to where to start. Being new to real estate, and with this being my first potential investment, it's definitely intimidating. There's so much that I don't know, and I don't want to get in over my head. The problem is, there isn't very much time to research before I make the move, maybe a month at the most. I could play it safe and rent an apartment for a year while I figure it out, but that would be money wasted! Also, I don't have much cash as it is, so a down payment for the mortgage is another issue. I would totally appreciate any advice as to which direction I should take, and how I should go about buying a duplex in a new area. Thank you!

Loading replies...