• Real Estate Investor
  • Monrovia, CA
Votes |
When and when not to do requested repairs on a property

Marvin Q.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Monrovia, CA
Posted Jul 30 2015, 09:01

Hi Everyone I'm new here and wanted to ask anyone's advice about knowing when and when not to do requested repairs on a property. I'm in California. I have 'good' tenants. The problem is they ask for a lot of repairs. Some were necessary like the dishwasher breaking down. Some not so necessary, like a fence that was getting a little old.

Now they are asking to repair several window and door screens. My handyman quoted me $755 for replacement plus labor.  $755 just to replace screens?  I'm sure some of you that have smaller pockets can attest, sometimes things can be a little tight.

I'm halfway thinking of just selling the property. This property used to be my primary residence, so with the rent collected, plus HOA fees, plus Property Tax we're still under a couple hundred a month.

Can I tell my tenants no for this repair?  There screens were there when they moved in. What's the best way to handle this situation? Or should I seriously consider just doing the repair and keep the property quality up? On the other hand if I do the repair and something more serious breaks down like the AC I'm in a deeper hole.

What do you guys advise?

Thanks
Marvin

Loading replies...