• Dallas, TX
Votes |
Bad Neighbors Who Want My House

Cody Koetter
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Aug 3 2015, 11:51

Hi BP!

I acquired a rental property a few years back, that I rented to family while they were saving to buy a new house, so they have been my only tenants up to this point, for this property. They told me the neighbors next door had mentioned multiple time they wanted to buy the house. So once my family members moved out we put it up for sale at Market value to test the market while we were making some small rent repairs in case we weren't able to sell if for the price we wanted.

During that time our Realtor showed the house to a good number of interested buyers, but every time she brought a buyer to the property, the neighbors next door would come over and wait for them to exit the house to start telling the buyers the house had all these issues and that we were trying to scam someone into buying it. Come to find out, one of the offers we did not accept came in the name of their elderly mother at about 30% below asking. So they were essentially trying to buy the house using their elderly mother as the purchaser, just to have the land it sits on, which ultimately pissed them off. Needless to say we did not sell the house.

Brief Background on the neighbors: These 3 brothers dad passed away about 10 years ago, who passed down enough inheritance where they bought that house and won't have to ever work, if they live within their means. So essentially a few hundred thousand dollars 10 years ago.

Yesterday, I officially put it on the market as a rental and all 3 brothers have called me acting like interested renters (from the same number.. their elderly moms cell phone), and snooping around the property. I missed one of the calls late last night and called back today, where the elderly lady answered and said she didn't know anything about a rental but the house next door was for rent, which tipped me off they were the ones who called from her cell phone. I had 3 potential renters call me today asking about the property, and ALL 3 mentioned the neighbors came over when they were out front looking at the property, saying all of the exact same things they were saying to our potential buyers, which made the folks who called me question everything I said. At this point these people are costing me buyers, renters, and money.

Since I hadn't had to deal with putting a non-family member tenant in this property up to this point I foresee these people causing me quite a bit of trouble moving forward... 

Has anyone had to deal with this type of situation, and what could I do to keep them away from my potential future tenants, so I can get this place rented?

Loading replies...