General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
  • Columbus, IN
Votes |
Blackmail

Account Closed
  • Columbus, IN
Posted Aug 29 2015, 16:40

Okay, I need advice to help me better understand my options.

I was taken to court to be evicted ( for nonpayment of rent & vandalism, even though our rent was just 3 days late. There was no vandalism, but I only received the eviction notice the day before our hearing so I didn't have time to get evidence) and only given 14 days (I have kids!). Anyways, as my family began to scramble to search for a place to live, THE SAME DAY as we went to court my landlord dropped off a letter.

Now, he has been wanting to retire for a year (we have lived in the same house for almost 2 years). Well he wants us to buy the house on contract. It's a 2 bedroom and I have a family of 5 (soon to be 6).

In summary, the letter says that even though we have been evicted, he is still willing to let us buy the house on contract. The price he wants is fair for our area. But I am upset because he really has financially pushed us into a checkmate. If we don't buy the house, then we have 2 weeks to move AND the eviction will be on our record. 

However, if we STAY and BUY, he promised to notify the court and remove all of this from our record.

I just need to know if this is legal? Or is there something I can do to at least give myself more time to find a place?

Loading replies...