Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Shelley Hilton
  • Missoula, MT
Votes |
When shopping Landlords, what are the biggest red flags?

Shelley Hilton
  • Missoula, MT
Posted Mar 8 2013, 20:35

Hello Everyone,

I am a HCV/Sec 8 renter on the threshold of leaving my (cherished) property manager of nearly ten years for a new home. Over the past decade, I have become accustomed to a high standard of landlord excellence; they are the acknowledged best in the region and we really loved working with each other.

My prospective PMs have a very different reputation, but they also have my house. In the process of attempting to close this deal, I have been made uncomfortable more than once: starting with this otherwise immaculate property failing inspection due to electrical code compliance.

While that was a bummer, it wasn't anything that $75 of GFCIs wouldn't handle. What was odd was that the owner flatly refused make the repair, and the PMs suggested I could take care of it out of pocket.

I have never had such a request made before. I wasn't opposed, but I wondered if it augured the start of a long adventure of unanswered maintenance calls, surly managers and assiduous documentation. I haven't ever had to do That before either; but I know in my town, more PMs have reputations like these people than my current landlords.

For this property, I think it might be worth it. But the problem with being crazy in love, is that Crazy is often a big part of it. I can't let emotion cloud my good judgement.

I've severely truncated my story, as I am more interested in listening than talking, so please what Landlord behaviors do you find to be deal-breakers, and what ones do you just shrug off?

Loading replies...