BiggerPockets

Window Well Attachment

Forum Powered By:

5 posts by 4 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Stephanie Dupuis

Real Estate Investor from Bremerton, Washington

Oct 30 '13, 03:19 PM

I'm attaching some window wells using adhesive (I'm not bolting to the foundation).

What type of adhesive do I use? I've read several (confusing) things - asphalt mastic (ok...makes sense), "Construction" adhesive (sounds vague - what's that?), etc. These are aluminum wells being attached to a solid concrete foundation.

Chris Adams

Residential Landlord from Leesburg, Indiana

Oct 31 '13, 05:28 AM

Are these above or below ground?

Is there a reason you don't want to drill and bolt them?

What is the reason you are installing these, are you just trying to keep debris off the window or is there a water problem?

Myself I would use TapCon bolts, they comes with the correct drill bit when you buy the kit and overall would be the best way to install to concrete. The age of the foundation will determine how hard it will be to drill. Older concrete is much much harder to drill than newer concrete.

If the window wells are at least partially underground then I suppose a good construction adhesive would work since the pressure of the dirt around the window well will also hold it in place. There are many different types of construction adhesive. Lumber Lock brand comes to mind, I would check with the company selling you the window wells for their recommendation.

Pat L.

Real Estate Investor from New York

Oct 31 '13, 07:05 AM

Freeze & thaw was an issue for us as the well was only partially in the earth.

So no matter what we did they had to be bolted as @Chris Adams suggested with TapCons. But we laid in a mastic material that we use for door & window installs to keep the joints tight & hopefully waterproof.

We also had to cover them to prevent water pooling. However, the egress window we installed had to have a drain tapped into the weeping tile.

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Oct 31 '13, 07:09 AM

Construction adhesive is a standard product. For example "Liquid Nails". There are numerous brands and slightly different formulations. Check out the offerings at your local Home Depot or whatever and choose something that sounds appropriate.

That said, bolt them. Use a hammer drill and tapcons and its a farily simple job.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Stephanie Dupuis

Real Estate Investor from Bremerton, Washington

Oct 31 '13, 09:19 AM

Thanks, guys. These are 36 in. wide wells being used to raise the grade around the windows. No water problem in regards to leaks around the windows or in the basement - but this is on the weather side of the house and receives a ton of hard rain.

The concrete foundation is extremely hard (very old concrete). I'll end up drilling holes. I need to order a drill - none to rent and well, it's another tool to own.

I thought of not drilling b/c my neighbor across the street is a GC and does high end work. He installed his window wells across the street and decided not to drill into his foundation. When he saw my project yesterday, he said just seal it with adhesive (simply said the drilling was overkill) and showed me his wells (they're tight) and how to do it. I forgot to ask about the adhesive (this guy was leaving town for vaca - not going to interrupt him).

Thanks for all your help.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums