BiggerPockets

Whole house carpet installation -- $97

Forum Powered By:

35 posts by 30 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Jon Klaus Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Mar 05 '12, 11:16 AM

Lowes and Home Depot offer this at times. Buy the carpet and pad from them and they'll install it throughout the house for $97. I assume the catch is that you can't get a good buy on the material? Have any of you taken advantage of this to get a great deal? Or not so great?

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Special+Offers_381632314_

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Chris Calabrese

Rehabber from Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Mar 05 '12, 11:46 AM
4 votes

The main catch is the pad. You have to buy the premium Stainmaster pad and pay their crazy markup. The other catch is it's "basic installation" - they charge you for tear-out, haul-off, steps, tack-strip, transitions, etc. I have used them a couple of times, and they tend to have good installers because the installers don't want to lose their contracts with Lowe's. Good finished product, but total value, not so great.

Jackeline Petrucci

Real Estate Investor from Natick, Massachusetts

Mar 05 '12, 12:15 PM

In my experience they have been very good value and I didn't have to buy the premium pad. They allow me to pick the least expensive pad with no problem. I do think they have one of the best values for carpet and I haven't found another company that can compete with their prices.

Mar 05 '12, 12:26 PM

@Jackeline Petrucci do you recall your total price per foot, installed? Quality of carpet?

Jackeline Petrucci

Real Estate Investor from Natick, Massachusetts

Mar 05 '12, 12:31 PM

Jon here it is what we had install in the past

626-003 Torrent- warm sand is 80c/sq

Carpet Pad/traffic master pad alb 49c/sq

Josh Sterling

Real Estate Investor from Southgate, Michigan

Mar 05 '12, 01:52 PM

Jon,
I buy all my carpet at lowes. I also buy all my other rehab materials, so I use the QSP program (works for any order over $2500) I am typically paying .22c for pad and .80c per sq ft for carpet. I have in installed by a local guy who charges an avg of .40c per sq ft including stairs. I figure $1.50 sq ft for carpet installed (includes waste) and have yet to find a better deal.

As for the $97 install, those are for the stain master and higher end carpet and usually you will be into it for $2.25+ per sq ft just in material.

Hope that helps

Joel Owens Moderator

Real Estate Broker from Canton, Georgia

Mar 05 '12, 02:12 PM

Same thing with carpet and 97 deal.Only on the expensive stuff.

.80 sq ft for carpet you can get a decent kind.I don't know where you are getting a decent pad for .22 sq ft and your install rate at .40 sq ft is killer as well.I haven't seen those prices around here.The carpet installer must be hungry for work.REAL HUNGRY

Medium_allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty
Telephone: 678-779-2798
www.AWcommercial.com 678-779-2798 [email protected]

Nathan Emmert

Multi-family Investor from South Jordan, Utah

Mar 05 '12, 02:26 PM

R.C.Willey does similar sales and their prices are inline with Lowes... you can also go back in their excess rooms and get real good values.

Josh Green

Banker from Tampa Area, Florida

Mar 05 '12, 06:20 PM
2 votes

find a carpet guy on CL. they are usually hungry.

Ernie Beiler

Rehabber from Gap, Pennsylvania

Mar 05 '12, 07:42 PM

I tried Home depot on my current rehab. Great price on carpet & padding but the installation was a bit tricky. $97 for whole house install but charged over $300 for stairs and would not install any carpet not purchased from them. I think Carpet Mart may get my business next time. Finding an installer on CL seems a bit risky to me.

Brad P.

Real Estate Investor from West Des Moines, Iowa

Mar 06 '12, 05:59 AM
1 vote

Lowe's often has the $97 whole house deal and you can buy any carpet and basic pad. Many times Stainmaster will run free installations but you have to use premium pad and Stainmaster carpert (obviously). We penciled in out and it made sense to go with the stock carpet and pad w/ $97 install over the Stainmaster deal.

We just had Lowe's install carpet last week and the breakdown was something like this:
-Basic Install: $97
-16 stairs: $112 ($7 per stair)
-Tack Strip: $80 (around $.30 per LF)

We did our own tear out and hauling. So while the $97 is a great deal, they certainly make up for it in other places.

It was still cheaper for us to use Lowe's than the other carpet installers we called.

David Wedemire

Real Estate Investor from Bellingham, Washington

Mar 06 '12, 06:53 AM

Looks like they make it up in other ways. That usually is the way with most deals.

I use a local guy who is quite competitive.

Don Hines

Real Estate Investor from Little Rock, Arkansas

Mar 06 '12, 09:32 AM

I found Lowes to be too high installing tile. I was quoted almost $5 ft. I got it done for half.
Don

Eric Michaels

Real Estate Lender from Chicago, Illinois

Mar 07 '12, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Josh Sterling:
Jon,
I buy all my carpet at lowes. I also buy all my other rehab materials, so I use the QSP program (works for any order over $2500) I am typically paying .22c for pad and .80c per sq ft for carpet. I have in installed by a local guy who charges an avg of .40c per sq ft including stairs. I figure $1.50 sq ft for carpet installed (includes waste) and have yet to find a better deal.

As for the $97 install, those are for the stain master and higher end carpet and usually you will be into it for $2.25+ per sq ft just in material.

Hope that helps

Curious what price point of house are you installing 80 cent carpet? That is shockingly cheap to me.
I do houses around 200K and I use $2/sf carpet from Lowe's. Lower than that the carpet just seems crappy.

Josh Sterling

Real Estate Investor from Southgate, Michigan

Mar 07 '12, 12:26 PM

Eric,
I have lowes $2 sq ft carpet with .80c pad in my own house. It is a little nicer than the cheap stuff but not too noticeable. Our rentals are in a lower-middle class neighborhood, however we do complete remodels (probably way too nice for most any market) I have never had a single complaint on the carpet. About ~60-65k ARV
Next time you are at lowes check out the rolls of carpet in the back of flooring. It's usually ~.95c before QSP discount

Ed Lee

Residential Real Estate Agent from Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Mar 07 '12, 02:21 PM

I just had Lowes do 1000 sqft at my office. Carpet was $.55 loop carpet. Whole install was $1,300 including pad, labor, tac strips, & tax...

Stuff looks and feels great.

They were very fast, and did a great job on the install..

Home depot is a completely different story.

Mar 07 '12, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Ed Lee:
I just had Lowes do 1000 sqft at my office. Carpet was $.55 loop carpet. Whole install was $1,300 including pad, labor, tac strips, & tax...

Stuff looks and feels great.

They were very fast, and did a great job on the install..

Home depot is a completely different story.

Berber? Do you have a link to the stuff? Thanks.

Jeff N.

SFR Investor from Virginia Beach, Virginia

Mar 07 '12, 02:40 PM

Jon, I also used Home Depot on a rental and was extremely happy with the service and price. I pulled out old and removed myself, so I only paid the $97 install fee + $7 per step. I agree with a previous post, I feel the contractors are provide the excellent service in fear of loosing their HD and Lowes contracts.

Uwe K.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mar 23 '12, 08:26 PM

I've used Lowe's numerous times for a carpet install with their $97 special. First one was even $79, I think.
Anyway, as others said, no need for premium pad, get the cheapest (was 48 cents here). Just three weeks ago I had another install completed and this time I questioned the installers about this.
He didn't even know what they charge for the pad. The installer supplies it, and they get it cheaply. After all, it's just old shredded t-shirts and stuff. Lowe's charges me an arm and a leg for the pad and subsidizes the installation. The installers themselves get a fair fee in the end.
He told me when he goes out he would typically charge around $4-5 per yard (as they all think in yards) incl. pad, so about 44-55 cents a sqft. Pad alone, he said, about $1.50 per yard, 17 cents.

Dennis Demara

Almont, Michigan

Jan 06 '13, 07:45 AM

COME ON PEOPLE! ARE YOU SIRIOUS?

Do you ACTUALLY think that for $97 you will get 2 maybe even 4 workers to come out and spend maybe a couple hours or even a full day or 2 and split $97.....and have to pay for fuel, tools and supplies too!!!.

I am in the business and I have to laugh when I try to explain it to customers. It's not easy to do w/o making them look stupid.

They are gimicks and they are designed to do one thing and one thing only.....get you to sign on the dotted line.

If you want to shop at dishonest places that think you are stupid...well that's fine with me.

Look at the bait and switch adds for these stores...it costs them tons of money to doop you into the store. Carpet, pad & labor for .99 cents a sq ft. WOW! Hey honey....our room is 10x10. That's only $99..... yeehaa. But when you get to the store....wha wha wha. They are out...but for a little more you could have this.

Sorry about the sarcasm here but I deal with this stuff on a daily basis.

BTW, in this day and age with the economy the way it is....look into purchasing stuff locally or ask for referals. Even the mom and pop shops.....realistically these are the guys that are really going to take care of you and appreciate your business. You think the big box stores really appreciate your business? They only want one thing...(like brewerys) a bigger bottom line.

Support your local stores......not your monopolies.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums