• San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Newbie in San Francisco looking for buy and hold in the San Jose area

Katherine Nguyen
  • Renter
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Sep 15 2014, 09:44

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking in the San Jose area to buy a multi-family home. We have a prospect that is asking $699,000 for a duplex. After looking at the open house we like that there is great potential. It needs a lot of updating though and estimate the cost to be around $70,000 for cosmetic fixing of the house only. Of course we don't know what other costs would be without further inspection. The house is 79 years old and probably hasn't been updated much since.

A few things we did see:

1. Crack in the 2nd floor fireplace

2. Hole in the ceiling of 2nd floor (although the real estate agent said that the roof has since been fixed, they never actually fixed the ceiling)

3. Crack in a few of the windows, which we will be changing out anyways because they are single pane.

4. The detached garage is horrendous and looks like it's about to fall apart with no doors

*Side question: Would it be cheaper to just knock it down or to try and rebuild it with existing structure?

5. 2 prong electrical outlets (I think this really shows how old the house is, among some other things)

*Side question: Do we need an electrician to change out the outlets or is this something can be DIY'd

My real big burning questions is whether this might be something good to start out with as this will be our very first investment ever. I like remodeling, but I'm not sure if this might be too big of a project to handle for our first time.

I know I may not have provided a lot of information, if there is something else that I need to put out there to clarify, please do ask away.

I also just want to say thank you to everyone on BP for the content you guys provide. My husband and I are both learning so much with all the information that is on here and the podcasts are great. Instead of listening to music on my way to work all I do are BP podcasts and articles now, when I'm not driving of course!

Loading replies...