Votes
Mitchell Benson
  • Willis, TX
Votes |
My First Tri-Plex Rental Property

Mitchell Benson
  • Willis, TX
Posted Mar 28 2015, 20:41

Hello All. Just looking for some advice on my first property. 

So this is a for sale by owner property....basically just turns out to be a guy i know who is looking to cash out of his investment after about 10 yrs. The property was building the 70's its a 3 story triplex with a 1bed 1 bad ~700sq.ft. per unit. There are 8 buildings like this on the street and it is in a very nice gated community. Its not in the best shape but he has remodeled 2 units in the past 6 months with the 3rd unit being finished soon. This building has foundation problems and can only be sold with Cash or conventional loans because of it. I plan to get conventional financing and put the 20% down.

right now the units are being rented out for $625 mo. for bottom and middle floors. The tenants are on separate electricity but the owner is paying for the water which is a min. of $120 mo.

There is a property across the street for sale for 125k.. he said himself that was too much and mentioned lightly he would sell his for 110k. I want to make him a strong offer that would work out for both of us but i'm looking for good cash flow. 

Long term... its a little scary knowing that these buildings are so old and may need major replacements roof/siding/heating or air.

-Does this seem like a good investment?
-how much should I offer?

any additional advice would be appreciated! Thank you

Loading replies...