Votes
Scott Scharl
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Advice Needed on Being the Mutual Connection that Helps Create a Deal

Scott Scharl
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Jul 2 2015, 00:06

Hello all. I have a question about how to connect two acquaintances to make a deal:

1. The first person

In a recent conversation, I have learned than a former landlord of mine is seriously considering selling three of his properties in the booming Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix, Arizona. Each of the properties is a multifamily. The landlord does all property management and most maintenance himself. While multifamily properties all around are being renovated or razed and rebuilt, his buildings remain the most outdated and worn on their respective blocks. Tax records show that he owns each of the properties in his own name. Since he has owned each property for a number or years, it seems that his long-term strategy has been to cut corners and avoid capital expenditures, betting on appreciation in the end.

It seems to me that two of his parcels in particular would be excellent candidates to be torn down and replaced with high-end apartments or condos; the same thing is happening across the street with another, much nicer (but much larger) multifamily property.

2, The second person

Currently, I am building a mentor-mentee relationship with a local investor who has fix-and-flipped over 200 properties. This investor has an excellent track record raising private capital, and has already done work in the neighborhood flipping single family homes. He is also starting a brokerage and I will most likely hang my license with him when I receive it in late August.

All this is to say: How can I best leverage both my relationship with this motivated (retiring) seller AND my relationship with a successful local investor to help make a deal? How might finders’ fees work in this situation? Should I wait until I have my license, or should I act ASAP to connect these two before the seller liquidates and moves on with his life?

Thanks so much for any advice you might have.

Loading replies...