Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Shamus Quirk
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Newburyport, MA
Votes |
My numbers work if I don't live in my investment, but not if I do... Is it worth it?

Shamus Quirk
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Newburyport, MA
Posted Jul 30 2015, 18:38

I am looking to buy my first property and I found one that I am interested in.  I'll have to owner occupy this property and house hack in order to get the financing I need to get my feet wet.

When I run the numbers fully rented, without me living there, it cashflows over $200 per door per month.  If I was to live there, I would be eating about $583 dollars a month (based on the percentages of one's unit income).

Each unit can rent out for $1400 and my expenses are only $1983 a month (this goes up with a $2800 a month income because the calculator bases its results as a percentage of the rental income at $2800 a month it estimates expenses to be $2,346.  It seems like If I was living there expenses would be the same whether I'm renting both units or one.  Does anyone have a more reliable way to calculate this?) but that includes vacancy rates, Cap Ex, Insurance, P&I, $50 Misc, Repairs costs, Trash, Taxes and Management fees.  I would be self managing to start.  So that is another $115/224 I would save in the mean time depending on the amount of rental income I input.  

My question is, is this still worth it for my first live in deal?  I can get more into the numbers if someone is interested in helping me analyze this further.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Loading replies...