BiggerPockets

hoa wants me to sell boat

8 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Kdt Tenchi

Homeowner from Vancouver, Washington

Aug 29 '11, 12:54 PM

the HOA wants me to sell my boat. Can they do that?

Jon Klaus Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Aug 29 '11, 01:01 PM
2 votes

No they can't make you sell it, but they might force you to move it off the property.

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Aug 29 '11, 01:11 PM
2 votes

Rent space for it in a storage yard or in a marina. Or put it in your garage. All they really want is for you not to store it however you're storing it.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Kdt Tenchi

Homeowner from Vancouver, Washington

Aug 29 '11, 01:19 PM

i'm currently parked on my driveway off the side walk. is that fine?

Kevin C.

Real Estate Investor from North Dallas, Texas

Aug 29 '11, 01:26 PM

What do the HOA bylaws say?

I've seen HOA's that don't allow boats in driveways, but no one here can answer your specific question without seeing the bylaws associated with your HOA.

As Jon K. said, the HOA can't make you sell your boat, but they can require you to move it.

Jon Klaus Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Aug 29 '11, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by kdt tenchi:
i'm currently parked on my driveway off the side walk. is that fine?

Apparently not. HOA's have their own rules--ask for a copy.

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Aug 29 '11, 02:15 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the HOA sent you a letter saying you needed to "get rid of the boat". Its entirely possible the HOA has rules against parking boats (or RVs or trailers or inoperable vehicles) on your driveway. They can make you sell, but they can make you get it out of any location where they forbid boats. The probably can't actually tow it away, but they can fine you if you don't move it. If you don't pay the fine, they can place a lien on your property. If you still don't pay, they can foreclose and take your property. Move the boat.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Keith Barton

Real Estate Attorney from Cleveland, Ohio

Oct 08 '11, 02:37 PM
3 votes

The only way the HOA could force a sale of your boat is if you owe the HOA money, the HOA obtains a judicial judgment against you, levies a writ of execution on your personal property, forces an auction of your boat to satisfy the judgment, there is no statute that somehow disqualifies your boat from execution to satisfy a judgment, you have enough equity to exceed any value of the boat that is exempt from collection, and the remaining value makes it financially feasible to do so....

Now, as to what the HOA can do - get copies of ALL of the governing documents, and have an expert review the documents to determine if you are violating any of the governing documents. If you are violating the governing documents, the HOA very well may be able to haul the boat away and fine you at the same time (AND you will have to pay fees to get the boat back from the storage lot.) If you are NOT in violationg of the governing documents, then you may be able to keep the boat there, but be prepared to have a fight on your hands and pay money anyway. You are probably better off taking the boat to a proper storage facility immediately and without question....

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums