BiggerPockets

Lifestyles Unlimited of Texas

Forum Powered By:

85 posts by 35 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Ciera Calhoun

San Antonio, Texas

Aug 22 '12, 03:15 PM

I recently found out about a real estate investing mentor group called Lifestyles Unlimited based in Texas and decided to do some research on it. I came across a thread on this forum about the company from 2008 and very few people were involved with them. I figured I'd pose the question again since its 4 years later. Maybe there are some credible members of this forum that are also members of Lifestyles Unlimited who have joined within the last year.

My question is how beneficial is this group? Has anyone on here experienced success in real estate investing from their training? Is it worth the $500 membership?

If there is a recent thread on Lifestyles Unlimited, please link.

Mike H.

Real Estate Investor from Manteno, Illinois

Aug 23 '12, 08:13 AM

I live in Illinois. But I listen to their podcasts almosts every day.
Their basic principles seem to be pretty good - 3bdrm, 2bath homes
in middle class price range.

What I think you'll gain though is well worth the annual membership fee - networking opportunities, special pricing from approved vendors, etc.

And the free phone calls are worth their weight in gold for an investor starting out. I wish I could have had that when I started.

The vendor list alone would have been huge.

I would definitely pay the money and attend their events if I was closer. They also have the multifamily track that you can evolve into as well so there's a ton of room to grow your investing there.

Ciera Calhoun

San Antonio, Texas

Aug 23 '12, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by @Mike H.:
I live in Illinois. But I listen to their podcasts almosts every day.
Their basic principles seem to be pretty good - 3bdrm, 2bath homes
in middle class price range.

What I think you'll gain though is well worth the annual membership fee - networking opportunities, special pricing from approved vendors, etc.

And the free phone calls are worth their weight in gold for an investor starting out. I wish I could have had that when I started.

The vendor list alone would have been huge.

I would definitely pay the money and attend their events if I was closer. They also have the multifamily track that you can evolve into as well so there's a ton of room to grow your investing there.

Thanks Mike Hasemann! I agree with you. From what I hear on their podcasts, it seems pretty helpful for someone just starting out like myself. From what I've experienced thus far, it seems like the best resources for a comprehensive training layout of all of the basics that gradually advance to more advanced material, books and workshops are the answer. I've also began reading Brandon Turner's blog realestateinyourtwenties.com. He provides a wealth of information there.

James Vermillion Donor

Real Estate Investor from Lexington, Kentucky

Aug 23 '12, 10:11 AM
1 vote

@Ciera Calhoun, I pointed this out in your other thread but thought I would point out a few things here. While I have not dealt with this particular program I would encourage you to be very careful before you start spending money on something like this. Most of the benefits which have been brought up can be acquired in other ways (much cheaper), leaving you more money to spend on real estate purchases. For example, I know I have seen several call scripts right here on BP for free, that have been tested with good results. As far as vendors, members of a good reia would be able to help you there. I am not saying there is not a program out there that is worth the money, but I have not come across one yet.

Make sure you do additional research and make sure that is the best use of your money at this time, because in usually in the beginning money is one of the largest obstacles.

Medium_kvJames Vermillion, K&V Investing
E-Mail: [email protected]
Invested in the Bluegrass!

Kyle J. Donor

Real Estate Investor from Northern, California

Aug 23 '12, 11:11 AM

@Ciera Calhoun I listen to various real estate investing podcasts every day of the week, and Lifestyles Unlimited is one of the ones I listen to most regularly. I have literally listened to just about every one of their podcasts over the last year or so.

I'm normally not one to spend a lot of money on guru's or REIA's. However, Lifestyles sounds pretty good. I've actually been seriously toying with the idea of joining them, if for nothing else then so I can attend their 2-day seminar which is only available to paid members.

Supposedly, you can learn quite a bit during the 2-day seminar, and I've heard that the second day is focused on how to transition from SF to MF, which right now is actually my top goal.

I'm in California, but would still be willing to travel there for this seminar. And yes, I understand that this same information may be available elsewhere for free or lower cost, but I like to be well-rounded and get my information from as many sources as possible. I get plenty of free and low cost information.

Plus, $500 for a membership (for the first year - $250 every year after that, a 2-day seminar, a year's worth of telephone advice, and access to all of their other videos and case studies actually doesn't sound like a bad deal.

If you haven't done it already, one thing you might do is go to their website and sign up for their free investor starter kit and/or browse through some of their free articles/videos available online. See what you think after that.

For what it's worth, I've tried checking around the internet for unbiased reviews of Lifestyles to kind of sway me one way or the other. There's not much out there and - like you pointed out - a lot of what I did find is several years old.

In my research, I didn't find much in the way of complaints about their basic membership ($500) and/or about their company as a whole. However, I did find a few complaints about their upgraded PIG (Preferred Investor Group) membership, mainly centering around the cost ($10,000) and the fact that a few people felt like they didn't get their money's worth out of this membership.

However, that doesn't concern me too much because I would never consider signing up for the $10,000 membership anyway so I'm only judging them based on what they offer for the $500 membership. And that seems pretty decent.

What I can tell you is that if I lived in Texas, I would definitely join them. I'm in California and still might join them.

If you join them, please be sure to report back and tell us what you think from an "insider's perspective".

Jim Baum

Plano, Texas

Aug 23 '12, 11:58 AM

I just joined LSU this month and have been very pleased. The stuff they teach you in the 2-day class totally blew me away. Worth every bit of the $500 that I paid, imo. Plus, they had a promo for 2-years so can't beat that I guess since I was already considering joining for a while.
Day 1 is about single family homes. Much of this was actually covered in the pod casts so there were not too many secrets. However, the way Del teaches you is a LOT different from what you hear from Steve on the radio (Del seems a little disconnected from the radio show content). But, the life experience that Del provides and summarizes in class - invaluable. Walks you through in detail with live answers that are worth its weight in gold. Like they say, you have to learn it from somebody that's done it and has experienced the pit falls. He keeps it totally fun-filled with his real life experiences.
Day 2 is about trasitioning into multi-family. If you have over $100k you can invest in, this is the route to go. Again, Del will convince most of us that dealing with SF homes when you can go to MF directly is pretty much a waste of time. The business model it totally different. And this REALLY blew me away. A lot more money to be made (but a lot more risk). That is why you need the PIG membership so that Del's mentors are compensated to hold hands with you. You cannot risk messing up with this much $$ involved. Nonetheless, you can start out by being a regular member and later joining the pig.
Another benefit of the pig is Lifestyles Realty folks will actually find and bring deals to you. Great for working folk that don't have the time to go locate the wholesale properties (you need to find properties at 50-60 cents on the dollar to match the business model). I'm in DFW area and there are 2 companies that I know of that specialize in wholesale properties that actually don't charge you anything (except for the finders fee that is already built into the cost of the property) so you may not need pig if only for locating properties.

Sorry had to rush through this since i'm on my lunch break but hopefully this will help some folks. In DFW there are other RE clubs that are free or lower cost. I've been to them and they offer other perspectives. But, LS offers a home for me so to speak. I casually show up 1 or 2 times a week to Irving (where their office is) to network or listen in on vendors to better my education.

Kyle J. Donor

Real Estate Investor from Northern, California

Aug 23 '12, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by @Jim Baum:
I just joined LSU this month and have been very pleased. The stuff they teach you in the 2-day class totally blew me away. Worth every bit of the $500 that I paid, imo. Plus, they had a promo for 2-years so can't beat that I guess since I was already considering joining for a while.
Day 1 is about single family homes. Much of this was actually covered in the pod casts so there were not too many secrets. However, the way Del teaches you is a LOT different from what you hear from Steve on the radio (Del seems a little disconnected from the radio show content). But, the life experience that Del provides and summarizes in class - invaluable. Walks you through in detail with live answers that are worth its weight in gold. Like they say, you have to learn it from somebody that's done it and has experienced the pit falls. He keeps it totally fun-filled with his real life experiences.
Day 2 is about trasitioning into multi-family. If you have over $100k you can invest in, this is the route to go. Again, Del will convince most of us that dealing with SF homes when you can go to MF directly is pretty much a waste of time. The business model it totally different. And this REALLY blew me away. A lot more money to be made (but a lot more risk). That is why you need the PIG membership so that Del's mentors are compensated to hold hands with you. You cannot risk messing up with this much $$ involved. Nonetheless, you can start out by being a regular member and later joining the pig.
Another benefit of the pig is Lifestyles Realty folks will actually find and bring deals to you. Great for working folk that don't have the time to go locate the wholesale properties (you need to find properties at 50-60 cents on the dollar to match the business model). I'm in DFW area and there are 2 companies that I know of that specialize in wholesale properties that actually don't charge you anything (except for the finders fee that is already built into the cost of the property) so you may not need pig if only for locating properties.

Sorry had to rush through this since i'm on my lunch break but hopefully this will help some folks. In DFW there are other RE clubs that are free or lower cost. I've been to them and they offer other perspectives. But, LS offers a home for me so to speak. I casually show up 1 or 2 times a week to Irving (where their office is) to network or listen in on vendors to better my education.

I didn't say anything before, but this is actually my biggest (only?) complaint about Lifestyles Unlimited. When I was searching the internet (including on BP) for reviews of Lifestyles - I found that any time someone starts a post to ask about them or if anyone is familiar with them - some new poster (who just joined the SAME DAY as the original post asking for information) with NO previous posts, adds his/her two cents about how great Lifestyles is.

No disrespect meant, nor do I know for sure that @Jim Baum isn't a real investor who just happened to join BP today and coincidentally made his first post about Lifestyles, but it sure is suspicious. Especially when the exact same thing happened a few years ago on BP when someone tried to get other BP'ers opinion on Lifestyles.

I've seen it happen on other sites as well, and I can't help but feel that people like this are actually just employees of Lifestyles looking to pad their positive reviews.

I'd be more understanding if you (generally speaking) were just upfront and said, "Hey, I work for Lifestyles and love it. Here's why..." But when you masquerade as an "unbiased" investor offering your unbiased opinion, it just makes me suspicious.

Again, I don't know that @Jim Baum did this. But surely it can't be a coincidence that a number of people have joined sites like BP, right after a Lifestyles topic is started, only to then make their first and only post about how great Lifestyles is.

Joshua Dorkin Verified Donor

BiggerPockets Founder from Denver, Colorado

Aug 23 '12, 12:41 PM

@Jim Baum - Thanks for the feedback. As @Kyle J. already indicated, there is a patten of activity from some companies online to send people to promote their business on forums without disclosing their associations and relationship with those companies. I'm not accusing this company of doing that, but it these posters do follow the same pattern . . . they post one positive post about the company in question and then disappear.

I hope to see you jump in and get active here on the site. As an active and successful investor, surely you see the value of engaging here beyond just sharing your review of this company. We'll all look forward to seeing your second, third, and additional posts here.

Medium_bp-squareJoshua Dorkin, BiggerPockets
Telephone: 877-831-4704
Get your logo in your signature too! Upgrade to PRO Today at http://www.biggerpockets.com/pro

Ciera Calhoun

San Antonio, Texas

Aug 23 '12, 01:16 PM
1 vote

@Kyle J. @Joshua Dorkin I was hoping this wouldn't happen. This form of marketing only makes the company look bad once everyone catches on. On the thread I read from a few years ago, this same thing happened and created a very negative vibe in the conversation that was unnecessary.

@Jim Baum If you are a Lifestyles Unlimited rep, please relay this message. If the company is really as great as you claim it is, posers would not need to post falsely unbiased opinions on popular forums. Let the product speak for itself. All you're doing is contributing to any negative opinions someone may have formed against Lifestyles Unlimited.

Ciera Calhoun

San Antonio, Texas

Aug 23 '12, 01:21 PM
1 vote

@Kyle J. Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with you. I may be willing to pay for the $500 membership but I would never consider paying $10k. From what I've seen so far, it seems they offer quite a bit of information. Like you've already mentioned, it's very difficult to find unbiased opinion of the company. However, my cousin speaks very highly of their training and he wouldn't stear me in the wrong direction. I'm currently in the process of going through their starter kit and I've enjoyed it thus far. I'm on day 6. I'll see what the free workshop has to offer and then I'll make my decision then. Most likely, I won't pay the $500 because I have no problem reading tons of books, blog posts, and forum posts for information but who knows?

Wade Guy

Houston, Texas

Aug 23 '12, 08:11 PM

I was a member of LU a several years ago and I will say it was worth it. The group helped me with my mind set and steered me in the right direction. Now, I will say they are a little disingenuous at times. They tend to make RE investing sound so easy and that anyone can do it. To a certain degree that may be true but in my experience it is going to take work and some sacrifice. The thing is you dont know what you dont know and Del is a successful RE investor who has done it many many years so why would you not want to learn what you can from him. It was easy for me to decide to join since I had spent thousands upon thousands of dollars, and time, and effort to obtain a relatively useless college degree that earned me the right to make less than a teacher. A measly $500 was nothing to me.

Anthony Y.

Real Estate Investor from Plano, Texas

Aug 23 '12, 10:05 PM
4 votes

I joined lifestyles back in 2010 when I was just getting my feet wet in RE and didn't know about biggerpockets. The $500 2-day was educational and I did learn a lot not knowing much going in. At the time I would say $500 was worth it for me, but that's about it.

I'm sure in one of the ten pages of the other lifestyles forum thread it covers this but there's three levels of membership; 1) $500 - you get to attend the 2-day, you get access to their "vendor's list"; 2) $5000 - SFH mentorship where you get emails from their SFH mentors (in-house realtors), access to their online SFH education, SFH roadtrips 3) $10K - MFH mentorship - where you get emails of their multi-family deals, get access to their MFH mentor and MFH education, get to attend their field trips where they tour current memeber MFH deals.

Vendor's list - don't be fooled that just because they're on their vendor's list that you won't have problems. It's hit/miss like angieslist. They have a review system where people put their feedback negative/positive. Most are positive since I think most members are affraid to post anything negative. And in some cases some of the positive reviews are biased since I've had vendor's email me to give them positive feedback before a job was done b/c they were so close in winning "vendor of the month". I've heard to be a vendor it's $500 a month. I've seen vendors come and go as well. On the flip side I have to say that I have met some good contacts and develop good relationships with some of the vendors that I still keep in touch to this day even though I'm not a lifestyle member anymore, but I recommend that you still do your due diligence when you select a vendor from their list. The best vendors/trades people that I've found was not from their vendor's list but from the local meetup RE investment email list, which is FREE!

SFH Mentors - their SFH mentors are in-house realtors. They send email blasts of "deals" they found quoting exact numbers like "$535 cashflow / month, XX% equity capture, etc.", but yet give an approximate on their rehab and purchase price. e.g. 70K purchase price, 12K rehab. i'm pretty sure they don't even do a walk-thru of the property they advertise since it's just an active listing on MLS, which you can find yourself through mls or realtor.com. the emails contains basic info but not the property address so you have to reply back to the mentor that you're interested. they say that they offer the deal to the first the responds, but i have a feeling that doesn't happen all the time. since you're competing against all the other members that respond to the email blast and they can only submit one offer, don't count on the in-house realtors finding you deals-that-they-scrub-off-mls. most members i've talked to find it on their own and submit it to their mentors to write the offers up, if at all.

They offer a product called quest, which offer mls access to run comps for $79/month. i haven't used it but i think there are much more cost effective and creative ways to gain access.

MFH Mentors - in dallas there was only one MFH mentor. all the PIG members pretty much seemed to be fighting for his time. 20,30,40,etc. MFH members and one MFH vendor. you can see how that works.

To some extent when you work with their mentors (SFH/MFH) there's a leap of faith you have to take that the deal their bringing to you and the info they're telling you is legit and you should act now. If you didn't, the mentors move on to the next willing member who could act... now!

A tactic they use for you to sign up for memberships is that "you will earn back your membership fees." Sounds good, but that's just them giving back a cut of the realtor's commission check IF you use their in-house realtors if you can put up with the competition with other members for the realtor's time.

They also have online education for SFH/MFH investing. Education being online recordings of live sessions they recorded out of the houston location. it's pretty boring if you can sit through all of it and you could learn a lot more from BP. IMO I wouldn't say there's a lot of substance in the education for sitting through 60-90 minutes of it.

My opinion - spend the $500 for the 2-day but absolutely don't sign up for any other memberships no matter how convinced/pursuaded you are. If you're willing to spend $5K to use their realtors, you might as well spend $2k and get your RE license yourself. If you're willing to spend $10K you might as well spend the money toward more accredited education like the CCIM for MFH education. Or just spend more time on BP, which cost you NOTHING.

This was my experience, it could be diff in SA/HOU. Mostly negative since I'm still bruised for spending 10K. The grass is not greener after the $500. I was persuaded since I was a newb, eager, and didn't know of other resources like meetup groups and BP.

Mike H.

Real Estate Investor from Manteno, Illinois

Aug 24 '12, 07:43 AM

Yea. I wondered about their other memberships.
I'm not sure what the 5k membership is. I thought the $500
level gave people unlimited question and answer so what
does the 5k thing really get you - the mls deals?

I still see the $500 for year plus $250 each year after being
a great deal considering you can go to all the case studies
to network and you get unlimited question and answer.

I also wonder if the 10k isn't a bad deal for someone
going into multifamily. Sounds like they do road trips
where they go to actual properties and do walk throughs
and you get to look at the books of other investors.

That sounds like a pretty good way to get an education
to me - compared to some of the other investor classes
that are out there. You're not going to get that info from any other business types (i.e. franchises, etc) that I know of.

That being said, I still don't know if I would pay 10k
for any training so who knows. :-)

And just so you know, I am not a Lifestyles Member
and never have been. And I've never met a single
member. Although I have toyed with the idea
of paying the $500 just to do Del's 2 days class.
The guy is fun to listen to and really helps you
stay motivated when you run into a bad week or two.

I still say $500 to be part of that kind of group is going
to be the best money you'll spend. REI's are ok but
these types of groups seem a lot more motivated.

We have some crazy training organization here in Illinois
but they have some deal where its really just a pyramid
to get members to sell more training - instead of
investing in real estate. And the training is a lot
more expensive than $500 or even 5k!

Jim Baum

Plano, Texas

Aug 24 '12, 04:25 PM

All I can say is to take my comments however you'd like. And no, I am not trying to convince any of you here who I am or not. I am just a newbie that needed a place to go, and it was Lifestyles that I chose to join. Now having going thorugh the 2-day class, I felt like I could contribute (from my experience). I've been reading various forums and finally came across this one.
I was actually searching for comments regarding Lifestyles because I wanted to validate if I've made the right choice. I still believe that something is too good to be true about them. They are a business after all so I'm trying to figure out the ulterior motive. Either thye are trying to get folks to join the pig, or to be able to charge vendors some fee to provide a pool of investors to them.

Ciera Calhoun

San Antonio, Texas

Aug 24 '12, 05:00 PM

@Anthony Y. Thank you so much for your response. This is exactly what I was looking for. Someone who was once a member but is no longer involved and can tell the pros and cons of the membership.

Joshua Dorkin Verified Donor

BiggerPockets Founder from Denver, Colorado

Aug 24 '12, 08:18 PM

Thanks for dropping back in, @Jim Baum. We'll see you around.

Medium_bp-squareJoshua Dorkin, BiggerPockets
Telephone: 877-831-4704
Get your logo in your signature too! Upgrade to PRO Today at http://www.biggerpockets.com/pro

Jim Baum

Plano, Texas

Aug 24 '12, 08:50 PM

Thanks Joshua, I certainly appreciate your warm welcome :)
As a newbie, I've been lurking for a while and finally was able to post a reply. But since I've never responded before, naturally had to create a new account. So I could see how it comes across. Perhaps I need to ask some newbie questions first?

Anyhow, a little about me - I do have 1 rental property due to moving and purchasing another primary house. Luckily have been cash flowing positive (even with a mgmt co.) on it. After the 1st rent check, I basically fell in love. Then came Lifestyles as my urge to get more rentals developed.

Apparently, they claim that now is the 'perfect storm' (interest rate low, rent higher, etc.) and that we would probably not see this in our life time again. In this market, you are able to see both cash flow and equity. However, I don't have equity since I bought the home at market value. Their business model teaches you to get foreclosed houses on the cheap - fix - and hold. A solid business model, that is supposed to not be impacted by market conditions too much. One thing Del mentioned was to sell the property after 2 years, capture the unrealized equity, and then do a 1031 exchange. Rinse and repeat. I guess he really likes being aggressive compared to the standard Lifestyles model which you hold the properties for some time longer.

But again, I have yet to test the model and only time will tell so I will chime in from time to time to update.

Jim

Carlos Flores

Real Estate Investor from Dallas, Texas

Aug 27 '12, 10:42 PM

A friend on mine is a member. Well, was. He kept trying to get me to join and just recently stopped trying. Not because I joined, but because he finally came to the realization that $5k or $8k or whatever he paid could have been better spent. He now says even $500 is too much.

As for their vendor lists, many of the same vendors are sponsors of local REIAs here in DFW. Just look up the REIAs on Meetup.

Like Anthony said, their internal realtors blast out properties that anyone can find on MLS. They also offer some non-MLS. Those come from a few wholesalers. One of those wholesalers told me he likes sending deals to LS because that's where he can get the most money for his deals.

I heard Del speak once. He kept saying there are no secrets in real estate. Why is it that none of his students ever repeat that line?

Medium_dreamstime_l_17553651_-_copy_crCarlos Flores, Stronger Communities Alliance, LLC
I pool investor funds together to acquire apartment complexes. Leverage my experience to get NR debt

Donald Hendricks

San Antonio , Texas

Oct 07 '12, 09:55 PM

Here is my 0.02 cents on LU inc.

First about me. I have no RE investing experience and have not attended any other training other than LU inc. I consider myself to have a lot of common sense and have thought off and on about buying SF homes to hold as rentals, but never gave it too much thought beyond that. What I did know, was that it isn't rocket science and that others in the world were doing it, so to could I.

I had an inside track on LU inc from a member, who happens to be a friend of my brothers outside of LU inc. My brother is not a member. Knowing this members success of nearly 100 doors (SF/MF) over a 3 year period and knowing that he is a stand up guy, I decided to attend the free informational presentation. I knew going in that I would be upsold, as I knew that they are a business and they have to make money someplace.

Sure enough, the sales pitch came, $500.00 for 2 years. BUT, this was a special deal for today only as it was the presenters birthday and he had spoken with the mystical "Del" and gotten permission to offer this deal. I did not join that day. After the class I got a few emails encouraging me to "take action now" the sky is falling kind of stuff, as if I didn't get in now, I would never have another opportunity.

About 20 years ago I worked in a business that there who deal was selling, although I was not in sales, so I knew of some of the games and tricks sales people use to close sales. I wasn't too worried about letting the "deal" slip away. Two months later, I contacted the presenter/sales person to ask about who they reccomend for FICO improvment. I was told that I had to join to get that information. A few weeks later I decided to join to get this secret access to the FICO professional and to attend the 2 day classs to see what I could learn. Funny thing, when I went to the office to join, it was still $500.00 for 2 years. The person who signed me up acted as if she were extending me some special courtesy and might get in trouble for doing so. I told her that the "special" was insulting to anyone that knew the basics of sales and closing sales.

For $500.00 I get the 2 day class, which is a boot camp for REI, 1st day on SF and the 2nd day progressing from SF to MF. I learned a few things in the class, such as the formula that they use for property evaluation, but not much was new to me as I had listend to every podcast that I could find prior to going. They are careful to not give away the farm on the radio show, but if you listen enough and can put 1+1 together to come up with 2, then you can put the basics together. You also get access to other classes on property evaluation, guest speakers on a wide range of topics, who I suspect have a dog in the fight, as they are vendors. You get unlimited telephone access to "junior mentors" who are not real estate agents. They claim you can call and be walked through anything at any phase of your deal. The will not however evaluate or opine on any deal, claiming they can not do that because they don't know if one of their realtors is working the same deal with an upgraded member (More on upgraded memebers below). You also have the ability to sign up for Lifestyles Quest, an online tool that imports data from the MLS for comps, rent comps etc and formulates the final estimated numbers on the deal that you are looking at. This access cost $79.00 a month + tax and is only for the DFW, Houston & San Antonio/Austin markets. They teach you how to do the evaluations on paper, but claim, that it does require that you find a real estate agent that is willing to work with you by providing comps "quickly" the way that you want the comps and who is willing to put in multiple offers on small priced sales. They are claiming that they are putting this power in your hands with this tool and then you only have to find an agent who is willing to put in the multiple offers to compete with all the other investors.

BUT, for the low low price of $5,000.00 you can become a challenge member and have one of their realtors do all the work for you. Mind you, this is a special for today only, "I spoke to Del late last night for hours to convince him to let me give you this special, it is regularly $6,000.00." What they don't say until you go to sign up (and no I had no interest in signing up) is that it is $5,000.00 for the first year and $1,000.00 for renewal charged all at once for a total of $6,000.00. Which shell is the pea under? (another insult IMHO) Now if you are the type of person who can't decide to get out of the way of speeding bus, I suppose this might be an ok deal. My opinion is that they are likely working for too many investors, and you would be better off going and finding a hungry RE agent. Which, if you rub a few elbows in the class, you will find that there are RE agents sitting right there among you.

The challenge membership gets you a a babysitter if you are not able for whatever reason to do it yourself, be it lack of motivation, common sense, time, skill, education... They will find deals evaluate it and blast it out in email for the hounds to fight over. They evaluate it using Lifestyles Quest (remember $79.00 a months + tax), so you can do it yourself. If you call them directly or go to the office and sit down with them, they will locate deals directly for you to evaluate and make offers on. They do not allow one LU memeber to compete with another LU member on the same property if you use their agents, and strongly discourage you by contract not to go to an outside agent with anything they give you. You also get to attend SF roadtrips, where they go out and evaluate properties on site and vendors give on site classes on various topics about REI. At the end of the trip the hounds have a chance to put in an offer on the properties visited. If there is more than 1 member intersted in the property, they draw cards to see who gets to make an offer. Some properties are MLS listings others are wholesale deals.

OR you can become a PIG for $10,000.00 on sale of course from $12,000.00 just for today. You had to pay for the following years membership at the same time, but don't remember what the price was. This is is for those who want to do MF. They will not let you be involved in MF as a passive or lead without being a PIG. They claim you need education and credibility, which can they can teach you.

Interestingly, both Steve Davis and Del Walmsley came from selling gym memberships 22+ years ago, I can't help but think that they got this idea of adding on the second year up front from that. Most people sign up and don't follow through, money in the bank.

What you get being a PIG is 200+ hours of classroom training, some certifications on APT MGT and they will evaluate the deals from start to finish. They will take the available and willing PIGs to the property to walk each unit, find ways to cut cost without cutting quality, audit leases, losses, projects rent increases as the property is rehabbed, project RUBS, they whole works. Unless you are on point doing this yourself or want to hire someone to do it for you, I would guess this would be an OK deal, but purely a guess. It is not need for SF and they tell you so.

In the other thread about LU inc, someone brought up the smugness of the MGT & office staff. They are people, in every group you are going to find different personalities. I did find it to be true that some of the people working there seem to walk around as if they are the cock of the walk, but all seemed nice enough and willing to talk to you and answer any questions. There were certainly a few peacocks, chest out, feathers showing.

As for the mystical "Del", I have not met the man, and really have no interest in doing so. I am not a sheeple, nor a Koolaid drinker. There seem to be plenty of people around there willing to kiss his... he doesn't need me. He may be a real nice stand up guy, I just don't have any interest in going out of my way to schmooz, not my style. I can say that it seems a little cultic when it comes to him.

They do teach "best product, best price" and screening tenants to keep your expenses low. This, as others have said, involves replacing anything that might be a problem. Further, they advocate getting out of the SF properties within a few years, taking the equity capture to MF, so long term expenses are not an issue if you follow that advise.

Oh... I almost forgot, remember that FICO professional that I was seeking? Well when I called the junior mentor to get the info, I was told "I could get in trouble for giving you this information as this person is not a LU vendor". Well then why did I have to sign up to get this information if it isn't a LU secret?

Overall, for $500.00 I got a basic education and a map to proceed on. I get to call up someone on the phone and ask them questions to help me from making mistakes, I can go rub elbows & even worship Del if I choose. There are continuing education classes and I have access to the vendors list, which I think is a little sparse. I am guessing this is because they charge to be in the list (so another poster says).

IMHO, it was $500.00 well spent for someone with no education or experience in this area.

For the record, I am a member of LU inc at the lowest level, I am not an employee of LU inc, nor do I ever want to be. This is my first post, but I suspect that this will not be an issue, because I do not think that they walk on water.

One thing that I thought was careless about the 2 day class, is that they "suggest" people cash in their 401K or IRAs and other investments, take the penalty and make it up in RE. This seems like a personal financial decision that shouldn't be promoted to the masses, considering the masses are blinded by the hand picked examples of the great wealth to be made in RE. They did not show or speak of one failure.

That is my 0.02 cents.

Questions? Would anyone like to sign up today?

Donald Hendricks

San Antonio , Texas

Oct 07 '12, 10:25 PM

Oopps... forgot to add that they are business like any other, they are for profit and not a charity. I can not begrudge them for making money by providing a service. The information may be elsewhere for free, but you have to weed it out. They give you a clear and concise method of doing business and on going support.

There may be a time when I become a PIG if I ever decide to go MF, as that is way over my head. I think I have a grasp on SF, so I wont join that group.

As with anything, it is what you make of it.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums