• Real Estate Agent
  • Newark, NJ
Votes |
Review of first full year of wholesaling

Silvio L.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Newark, NJ
Posted Sep 16 2014, 21:10

Like many, I started wholesaling as a first step towards real estate investing. I've been on BP since 2011 and in 2013 I finally decided to give it a try. I kept track of my progress here on BP early on, but I haven't posted anything for a while. Now - a little over a year later -I want to discuss how it's been going. 

To summarize my first year, I would say it was slightly above average. Let's talk cash first. I closed 2 deals - rather - WE closed 2 deals (my mentor/partner, my girlfriend/partner, and I). First deal netted us $14,000 and the second $18,000 for a total of $32,000. We split 50/50 with our mentor, so we made $16,000. Not too bad for our first year. Funny thing is we've been marketing all over northern NJ and the 2 deals we closed were within 2 miles of each other. I'll discuss the deals individually in a separate post. 

We also missed out on a couple of deals. 3 to be exact. I remember them well because I replay the scenarios over in my head to dissect exactly why they fell apart. One deal that still hurts is one that we actually did all by ourselves. We found the deal and a buyer, negotiated the price, and squeezed a $5k profit in for ourselves. The buyer didn't even want to do any inspections and was ready to close in a week!  We had the contract all signed and 2 days later received a letter from sellers attorney reneging the deal. Anyway, maybe I'll go into detail about each collapsed deal in a different post. 

What we've done right: automating systems wherever possible, invested heavily in marketing, improved negotiation tactics, improved deal analysis and running comps, taking internet marketing and SEO seriously, finding unique buyers, and developing a good "instinct" for what is a deal and what is not. 

What we can improve: networking, being more active in REI clubs, being more active on BP and other sites, negotiating still needs work, better system for organizing leads, expand marketing and get more creative.

Goals for 2014/2015: Double revenue, complete deals without mentor assistance, expand marketing, target different types of motivated sellers, grow our name and reputation in the RE community, and do more deals! 

In May 2014 we formed our LLC. It was so easy! After we did it I definitely felt silly for not having done it much earlier.

And as a matter of fact, as of today I am dropping 8 hours a week from my full time job, working 32 instead of 40. Those 8 hours are being dedicated to growing our business.

I have so much more to share about the experiences I've had starting out in real estate investing, I've learned so much this past year. For now I'll stop here, and end by saying that I've listened to a lot of podcasts & read a lot of books, but there is some serious "untold" stuff in wholesaling that no one is teaching, and it can only be learned thru experience. 

Loading replies...