BiggerPockets

Can I wholesale HUD properties?

Forum Powered By:

10 posts by 9 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Bill H

Nashua, New Hampshire

Oct 20 '08, 11:28 PM

is it possible to wholesale HUD properties?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 06:11

Richard Warren

Real Estate Investor from Las Vegas, Nevada

Oct 20 '08, 11:35 PM

It is my understanding that HUD will not allow assignments. You might be able to do a double close, but I’m not sure.

:cool:

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Oct 20 '08, 11:46 PM
1 vote

I've seen it done by buying the property from HUD in an LLC then selling the LLC.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Michelle Kasper

Real Estate Investor from houston, Texas

Oct 23 '08, 08:11 PM

You can also buy it in a trust and assign your beneficial interests to an end buyer

Edited Jun 26 2010, 06:12

Ron Garner

Real Estate Investor from Atlanta, Georgia

Oct 09 '09, 08:12 AM

from my experience double closing is the best way to wholesale HUD

Edited Jun 26 2010, 10:00

Johnny Maykin

Jan 28 '10, 02:20 PM

I don't have experience with double closings. On a HUD owner-occupied purchase with FHA 203k financing how would that work or would it be possible? Also, are there any limitations on refinancing a home with a FHA 203k loan (say 6 months after closing and after all repairs completed) or limitations on selling the home (after repairs).

Edited Jun 26 2010, 11:24

Ryan Webber

Wholesaler from Amarillo, Texas

Feb 03 '10, 02:00 PM

Yes, you can wholesale HUD's. I've double closed 2 or 3 of them. They are just like any other REO but with even more red tape.

I don't know about the 203k financing. They are not going to like it when they see you flipping it, and I would hypothesize that there is a good chance they will shut it down.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 11:29

Jorge Reyna

Residential Real Estate Agent from Fairfax, Virginia

Jan 21 '11, 11:16 AM

Exactly what type of red tape did you run into, or what did you mean? I have a client who is wanting to get a HUD home and wants to wholesale it to a Rehabber. You think it might cause some problems? They were going to use transactional funding.

Ryan Webber

Wholesaler from Amarillo, Texas

Jan 24 '11, 03:10 AM
1 vote

HUD will just require certain documentation from the wholesaler, including their financing information. I don't remember exactly what else they wanted. It wasn't anything crazy but it was a bigger pain in the butt than a typical wholesale deal or even another REO.

The title agent is key to the whole process. Make sure that you get to pick the title agent, and find one that is very comfortable with double closings.

I'm assuming your buyer put in his bid as an investor. If he put it in as a owner occupied then as a realtor I would run screaming from the deal.

Account Closed

Residential Real Estate Agent from Ocala, Florida

Mar 07 '11, 06:46 AM

Double closing are the best way to deal with huds...always best too to move the title company who is closing the file to a "friendlier" vendor who isn't worried about their hud contract. I've done hud same day flips in the past, no biggie.

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums