BiggerPockets

usleadlist + yellowletter

Forum Powered By:

11 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Travis H.

Dallas, Texas

Dec 06 '10, 11:48 AM

Has anyone here purchased a list of leads from usleadlist and then sent them yellow letters?

What level of success have you had?

Thanks!

Jerry Puckett Verified

Wholesaler from Irving, Texas

Dec 16 '10, 12:51 PM

I must have been snoozing to miss this one Travis. I've used USLeadlist before with post cards, and had below average results. The only list source I've ever found to be good is,...believe it or not, click2mail. The sales rep at US just rubbed me the wrong way more than once, and I'll never use them again.

I also have had far better results with post cards than yellow letters. You're here in my area, how about you give me a call some time and we can talk over marketing objectives and strategies?

Medium_untitledJerry Puckett, New Refined Images LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (214) 699-7565
I help Investors buy wholesale | Direct Mail & Internet Marketing

Bryan Hancock

Real Estate Investor from Round Rock, Texas

Dec 16 '10, 12:56 PM
1 vote

Really? Postcards pulled better than yellow letters? Are you using magic post cards ;-0?

Medium_inner10_logo__updated_Bryan Hancock, Inner 10 Capital
Telephone: 1-800-577-0401
Our Recent Austin Business Journal Article - http://tinyurl.com/Inner10Capital

Jerry Puckett Verified

Dec 16 '10, 01:27 PM
2 votes

No magic post cards, no magic bullet. A good yellow letter can get your envelope opened, and maybe your entire message read. But it seems to me not likely to motivate a non motivated seller.

On the other hand, the copy on my post card is simple and direct enough to get my phone ringing if the motivation is already there. I've also had people call me months later because they kept the card. I think it's probably easier to stash in a drawer or on the fridge than a letter.

Lastly, I've been narrowing my target audience down, so I'm going for more of a sniper than scattergun effect.

Don't get me wrong, I still use yellow letters (of a sort), I just get more calls from post cards. If you do ever happen to find a magic bullet though, Bryan, no bogarting! Remember, puff puff pass.

Bryan Hancock

Real Estate Investor from Round Rock, Texas

Dec 16 '10, 01:34 PM

When we used to use yellow letters they would be on top of a pile of postcards when we visited the property.

Do you mind sharing what your postcards say?

Medium_inner10_logo__updated_Bryan Hancock, Inner 10 Capital
Telephone: 1-800-577-0401
Our Recent Austin Business Journal Article - http://tinyurl.com/Inner10Capital

Jerry Puckett Verified

Dec 16 '10, 02:09 PM
2 votes

Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
When we used to use yellow letters they would be on top of a pile of postcards when we visited the property.

Well sure, they knew you were coming and reviewed your letter. But at least the post cards weren't in the trash. The post card senders may have already come to visit :D

No, I don't mind sharing. Pretty direct. Here's one I use for expired listings. I target homes on the MLS a minimum of 150 days with at least one significant price drop:

Dear (Home Owner),
I am interested in buying your house at (property address)

Unfortunately, we do not currently buy properties which are listed. Should your listing expire without an offer, or if something changes and you decide to withdraw the listing, please give us a call. If your interest is to sell quickly and easily at a fair price, call Jerry or Sharon at xxx-xxx-xxxx today. You can also visit our web site at www.yadayadayada.com to submit a property information form and get your FREE e-book: “How You Can Sell Your House for Cash in 7 Days or Less”

If you’re not interested in selling your property now, please keep this card for future reference.

Warm regards,
Jerry & Sharon
Email: [email protected]
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx

This is just one of those little bronze strategies. I only send out about 100 to 150 per month for select DFW areas. I sent them out last Saturday and got four calls plus 3 responses to my website. One maybe deal (going to see property tomorrow) and one possible short sale for me to pass on to someone else.

Got to catch some zzzs. Goodnight BP Nation :sleep:

David Lunsford

Fort Worth, Texas

Dec 21 '10, 07:48 AM
1 vote

Jerry, thanks for your levity in the use of bogarting...puff, puff, pass. Gee, I wonder what your making reference to.

David

Travis H.

Dallas, Texas

Dec 21 '10, 11:47 PM

I sent out 161 hand written letters on monday to folks in Collin county whose homes are going up for auction on January 4th, and have only received one call so far :(

I don't think I can hand write many more letters than that, but I would like to be getting out 300+ letters per month.

Edward, what would you say is your average response rate with postcards? And how much are they costing you to produce?

Jerry Puckett Verified

Dec 23 '10, 12:47 AM

Travis,
I spent $81 sending out 237 postcards this month. Postage cost was $55.11 and production cost was $25.89.
I've gotten a total of 7 phone calls and 3 web site responses, so I guess that puts my response rate at about 4%. Of those, one accepted my offer but doesn't want an inspection contingency (wonder what she's hiding that I missed?) one I passed to someone else and expect at least enough back to cover marketing costs, one cussed me out and wanted off my mailing list. The last one I saw was beyond my ability to help, and I'll be looking at another after Christmas that looks very promising.

So it hasn't been a huge month, but I'm pleased with the results. What do you expect for less than $100 marketing?

Oh, and Travis, I did get your email and will be in touch soon, probably after Christmas. I have not used pre forclosure lists and have no experience with them. I have heard that it's a pretty tough crowd to work and that often the only exit strategy that makes sense is "subject to". That's enough to keep me away for now.

Andy More

Residential Lender from Columbia, Missouri

Dec 23 '10, 01:38 AM

Edward, do you who purchase these properties yourself or do you wholesale them to someone else. What is your avererage profit per deal?

My first mailer was a slam dunk so just trying to get as much info as I can for my second. Thanks!

Travis H.

Dallas, Texas

Dec 23 '10, 02:31 AM

Sounds like a pretty successful campaign to me. Was there any cost associated with obtaining the direct mail lead list? I browsed click2mail briefly but didn't buy anything. I think I'll be buying the same pre-foreclosure list next month that I got this month.

I definitely need to switch over to postcards, I didn't realize the postage was lower.

Where are you having them printed?

Jerry Puckett Verified

Dec 23 '10, 04:31 AM

@Travis- I compile my own lead lists. I have the time to do it right now, so I am to save the expense. Post card postage is normally 28 cents a piece, but because of click2mails relationship with the USPS, they can mail at 23 cents a piece, making the total cost just over 28 cents.You just go on line, type in your copy, upload your mailing list and set up the mail merge fields. They print and mail. You can't beat that. I am not affiliated in any way with click2mail, just a very happy customer.

@Andy-At the moment, I wholesale properties I can get a good deal on, and pass on leads I don't want to deal with such as short sales and subject 2. I shoot for 3 to 5k per deal, but I got 10k on one because the deal was good enough. I usually get 500 to 1000 for leads I pass which get closed on.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums