BiggerPockets

How to Get Repair Estimates of an Out of State Absentee Property?

Forum Powered By:

6 posts by 6 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Sierra Murphy

Wholesaler from Washington D.C.

Nov 20 '12, 04:15 PM

If I have an out of state absentee willing to sell me their property, how would I estimate the repair value of the property? Are they going to mail me keys so I get into the house? How do people typically get into the house? Also, how would I make an offer on the house before getting a chance to look at it. These are just questions that float in my brain as I consider wholesaling.

Chris Feltus

Residential Real Estate Agent from Fort Worth , Texas

Nov 20 '12, 04:19 PM

Bring a locksmith to the property. Just make sure you have some form of consent from the owner and their contact information. They can get you in and out quickly with a lock pick gun.

But many times that is unnecessary as the owner will let me know "the back door is unlocked" or something to that effect.

J Scott Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

Nov 20 '12, 07:03 PM

If you're buying from a distance, you're going to need a team local to the property to handle stuff like inspections, contracts, escrow, etc.

I would start by finding an investor or an investor-friendly general contractor in the area of the property and pay that person to provide you with an estimate. They'll need to work with the seller to gain entry into the property, of course.

As for making an offer before looking at the property, that's up to you. Personally, I'd never offer on a property that I hadn't seen...

Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Andy Bankston

Real Estate Investor from Kennesaw, Georgia

Nov 20 '12, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by J Scott:
If you're buying from a distance, you're going to need a team local to the property to handle stuff like inspections, contracts, escrow, etc.

I would start by finding an investor or an investor-friendly general contractor in the area of the property and pay that person to provide you with an estimate. They'll need to work with the seller to gain entry into the property, of course.

As for making an offer before looking at the property, that's up to you. Personally, I'd never offer on a property that I hadn't seen...

J, the way I interpreted the post was the property owner is out of state, but the property is local to the OP.

I definitely agree that I'd never make an offer on a property without seeing it, regardless of where it's located.

Nathan Paisley

Real Estate Investor from New Jersey

Nov 20 '12, 08:45 PM

I would definitely make an offer!!!! Just 85% below market value... ;)

Jake Kucheck

Residential Real Estate Agent from Newport Beach, California

Nov 20 '12, 08:53 PM

Buying at auction (at least here in CA) you typically don't see the inside of every house you buy. You also buy it with cash, the same day that you find out how much you can buy it for. So, you either have to be comfortable with that or not participate.

How do you get "comfortable" with that, you ask?

Well... there's lots of contextual clues.

How old is the house? How big? What does the outside look like? What does the lawn look like? Are there cars on it? Couches? What do the cars in the surrounding neighborhood look like? What do the people in the surrounding neighborhood look like? Was it previously listed on the MLS? If so... how long has it been and how dilapidated does the outside seem from when the photos are taken?

After a while... you'll get to the point where taking in all of these things is second nature, and you won't really need to see the inside to get within 10% of the right number for rehab.

Then again, you'll also be very, very, wrong 10% of the time. So if you can't afford to be, figure out a way in.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums