John Jeff
  • Crystal Lake, IL
Votes |
Should I file a claim? Please help!

John Jeff
  • Crystal Lake, IL
Posted Feb 28 2015, 23:34

Hello,

We were out of town and our neighbors check on the heat etc at home when we are away. This time, when we were gone on vacation, our neighbors opened the kitchen sink faucet very little because it was freezing cold. Apparently when they came after 1 day, they found that the whole floor was flooded with water; the P-trap under the sink was leaking. They immediately dried the floor and cleaned it up. The water apparently made its way down into the basement and the ceiling tiles in the basement right under the kitchen floor has come out in several spots and the carpet in the basement got wet completely. A flooring expert was called and we have been drying the kitchen and the basement since couple of days using industrial dehumidifiers and fans. The flooring guy thinks everything is ok now but the hardwood floor needs refinishing. This will cost me a little over my deductible of $1500.00 (deductible $1000.00). I have so far not discussed with my insurance company. Not sure if this is a good idea? Should I file a claim? This would be my first claim. I am worried if they would increase my rate as they are already high. Please suggest!.

Loading replies...