You Think Your Apartment is Small?

by Joshua Dorkin on May 7, 2006 · 36 comments

Remember living in your first apartment? For many of us it was a small, cramped box.

Here’s an apartment to beat all of the other little boxes out there. Welcome to London, home of possibly the smallest apartment in the world. This 62 square foot flat has all the necessities that $247 a week can buy: a platform bed, bath, wardrobe, and kitchenette (if you can call it that).

Source: SFGate, This Is London

Keith May 8, 2006 at 5:08 am

I can get bigger space than that with that price! That is the smallest apartment I can ever imagine. No space to manoeuvre at all. Not an apartment to me, it’s a den!

Zach @ Mid Mo Mortgage February 1, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Keith – Try finding a place in Manhattan. I’ve seen smaller spaces go for $800 each month. And there is a high demand for these properties. It’s just ridiculous.

I heard Tokyo was even worse, but I don’t know for sure.

xen ix May 8, 2006 at 6:04 am

I’m impressed. Our apartment is 10 times bigger, but we pay about half the price of that “walk-in-wardrobe”.

I feel sorry for the person who rents that so called apartment.

Chris May 8, 2006 at 5:31 am

A den? My den is a lot bigger than that! That’s barely a walk-in closet!

yoshi May 8, 2006 at 5:54 am

I live in canada where your personal space is somewhat more generous than it would be in say… london. even so, advertising a shoebox as a flat is just wrong, making people pay $246 bones a week for is plain greedy. the proprietor of this place should take a long hard look in the mirror and make sure there isn’t a new anus growing on his/her forehead!

hacker not cracker May 8, 2006 at 7:03 am

And I thought I lived in a small place!

Scott T. May 8, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Remember people, location, location, location. I’m in NYC and in many neighborhoods you can’t find an apartment for less than $2000/month, though they are rarely smaller than 250 sq. ft. at that price. This place costs half as much but is a quarter the size, so it must be in damn fine location in London… (Is there a link to an article? I can’t seem to find it…)

Scott T. May 8, 2006 at 12:05 pm

nevermind. found the links…

Dana May 8, 2006 at 3:01 pm

wtf, my mortgage is $320 every two weeks, and that’s in Canadian funds! My house isn’t a mansion, well it is compared to that. But still…

Spida' man May 8, 2006 at 7:27 pm

I’ve lived in London, and it costs a fortune. I almost believe this is true.

YO YO May 9, 2006 at 6:44 am

I live in a small town in ohio, I have a two story house that is not a piece of shit and it only cost me 35k. My mortgage payments are only $200 a month! I know it is not in the best of locations, but for that crappy “apartment” for that price is gayyy!

Sharleena June 19, 2006 at 6:37 am

oh no thanks! :) i think there would be impossible for two people to pass each other in an apartment like this:) and i totaly aggree you can get better apartment for the same price.

wmc July 4, 2006 at 10:46 pm

Well, I gess it is still better than a room becasue u got everything. I would live there for that price.

LOUIS August 6, 2006 at 6:55 pm

SHOULDNT BE HARD TO KEEP CLEAN.AWOULD MAKE A NICE PAY PER HR ROOM OR HONEYMOON SWEET.

Anonymous October 6, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Wow. And I thought my digs in NYC were bad.

Ever February 3, 2007 at 8:02 pm

For that price, I could rent a an studio with at least 400 square feet in Washington DC. It is outrageous to pay 1000 dollars for 62 sq feet. However, I would love to find out in which place of London is this apartment located.

S Hughes March 24, 2007 at 10:26 pm

Omg..

How many of these flats exist?

Joshua Dorkin March 25, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Sarah – I don’t think there are too many like this one around!

Ricardo May 26, 2007 at 11:16 am

You’d pay around 100K for this in London.

Gary September 8, 2007 at 4:05 pm

I pay $400 a month for a bedroom in a nice house, with an awesome kitchen and living room. Utilities are included. For the last four years, I’ve paid around $400 a month for reasonably nice apartments, though I had roommates. Why is this “apartment” more than twice my rent?

I love the houseplant though. (closetplant?) It looks like a giant spider.

win September 30, 2007 at 3:56 am

I have seen smaller. Of course I live in Japan so that might skew results.

win September 30, 2007 at 3:58 am

should have put this in the last one but oh well, my friend lives in an apartment that is about 30 sq.ft. mines about the size of this one though.

Ashish October 10, 2007 at 9:28 pm

Great pic and what a tragedy. Now people have to live in such a congested area.

LEon December 12, 2007 at 11:07 pm

Its true, i live in England and unfortunately we have an unjustified high cost of living

uk property investor January 20, 2008 at 9:00 am

yup thats small!

have you every been to Hong kong. they have even smaller places.

Sha M January 24, 2008 at 9:04 pm

no seriously..where is the bed?

Nadine February 4, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Very small apartment. If I have that apartment, I think I will stay there only at bed time. I won’t be there for relaxing or watching TV cause I don’t like to be at less space room.

Kevin February 23, 2008 at 12:52 am

That is small and he is paying about a thousand a month. I wonder how much an actual two bedroom would cost per month? A kidney?

washington dc limousine services February 24, 2008 at 3:02 pm

alls about $$$ ..

Bernard Fisher BOOKLYN NEW YORK March 9, 2008 at 8:51 pm

and i thought apartments in new york are small
bernard fisher

Nadine March 27, 2008 at 8:56 am

So, I guess most people in New York have get used with such expensive cost living…

MoneyMan March 31, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Hmmm now that sink /food prep / refrigerator / oven gives me a good idea for my bachelor suites. There are lots of people needing affordable housing all over the world. If affordable = small well so be it. I’d rather live there than on the streets! It looks small but clean!

Dennis A May 9, 2008 at 12:30 pm

I’m a minimalist so I think I can live with this. I’m a bit clumsy though. Might get a lot of bruises bumping into things.

Chris June 30, 2008 at 12:11 am

Sheesh, and I thought my place was tiny. I guess you can’t invite any friends over living there.

bramptonrealestate August 12, 2008 at 9:30 am

Now that’s a scary market when you have to pay that much for a box! I definitely appreciate my one bedroom now.

Jan Gute Appartements Berlin December 5, 2008 at 11:46 pm

$247 a week is already expensive considering the size of the apartment. I’m sorry but my parents’ bedroom is bigger than this apartment. Anyway, the cost of living in London is really expensive…so, apartments like this are already affordable for some people.