Are You Losing Business Because You’re . . . Unreliable?

by Joshua Dorkin on July 23, 2009 · 6 comments

The real estate business, like all other businesses, is about relationships. To succeed, one must be able to forge and foster relationships. Social networks are great places to meet new people to accomplish that end.

Just connecting on a social network doesn’t mean that you’ve created a relationship with someone. It takes time, energy, effort, and follow-up, amongst other things, to establish a rapport and gain the trust of the other party.

You Must Be Reliable to Build that Trust!

One of the things that has come up for me over the past few weeks has been the fact that many people that I’ve encountered have been extremely unreliable. Once you stop being able to rely on someone, you no longer trust that they will come through to be there for you or for the task at hand. When that happens, the core of the relationship breaks down and you’re back at zero.

Most of my need to talk about this stems from potential employees being unreliable before a relationship is even created. I’m baffled at how bad things have gotten out there. We talk about how much trouble the economy is in, and I can’t seem to find reliable people to even return an email or call regarding a paid job position. If that doesn’t change, I don’t think we’ll see much change in our country’s future.

I’ve also been hearing too much lately about real estate professionals not responding to their clients needs, returning calls, submitting offers, and the list goes on. All of these things are just the death knoll of a relationship, and of good business practices.

What do you think? Are you seeing more and more people becoming unreliable? Are you losing business because you’re unreliable?

Share with us some examples you’ve encountered recently.

Photo Credit: Mark Hillary

Steve July 23, 2009 at 5:24 pm

This is a huge issue for me. If an agent does not get to me quickly and consistently, I would rather work with someone who does. There is a lot of paperwork to push with FHA transactions right now and I don’t want to work with someone who isn’t going to make it a priority.
.-= Steve´s last blog ..Creative Real Estate Financing =-.

Brendan OBrien July 23, 2009 at 5:40 pm

This is a lesson that every person in business must learn sooner or later. You must, must, must keep your promises. I also think that for every promise you break, you must keep 99 others to rebuild your reputation.

Steve July 23, 2009 at 6:10 pm

This is such a great point. We need to remember that how we conduct ourselves in every single transaction imprints itself indelibly, whether in a fellow potential business partner, a tenant, or a customer. Thanks for such a great reminder.
.-= Steve´s last blog ..Are You Ready to Turn Your Goals Into Reality? =-.

Jose July 23, 2009 at 6:21 pm

You said it, It has taken me a long time to learn this! I spent many years tryin to find leads when I should have been working the ones I had while forming relationships. Since I started to didcate time and effort to thise infront of me buisness has been non stop! great post! thanks!

Ryan C July 23, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I think i am reliable! I am going to think about it more carefully though. I know when I feel let down by a contact in business or life in general, it really creates distrust and sets back the relation ship. Good topic, Good post.
.-= Ryan C´s last blog ..Is SEO Just About Getting Lots of Links? =-.

Dale Monroe July 28, 2009 at 7:44 am

In business they say it’s easier to sell to someone who has already bought from you than a new person. Cultivating existing relationships can not only grow but it also result in a word-of-mouth referral. Kudos on this well written blog post.