Interview with Hard Money Lender & Real Estate Investor: Kevin Amolsch

by Joshua Dorkin on June 7, 2011 · 28 comments

Kevin Amolsch is a real estate investor and hard money lender located in the Denver, Colorado area. In our interview with Kevin (26:54 minutes), we get some great tips about topics such as using owner financing, lease options, wholesaling, building a portfolio, the life of a landlord, tenant screening, building wealth, and hard money loans. In the hard money discussion, we cover leverage and hard money, the risks of hard money lending, how to prepare yourself for a loan, why lenders focus locally, and the hard money loan process.

You can also find out more about Kevin’s company, Pine Financial Group, Inc., on their website, PineFinancialGroup.com or you can follow him on Twitter.

Steve June 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Great interview! Definitely worth it to listen too.

John Evan Miller June 7, 2011 at 2:12 pm

This is absolutely an incredible interview with a plethora of information great for both amateurs and professionals. Thank you for conducting the interview and sharing it with all of us. I was amazed by the amount of helpful information that was included in this 26 minute video. Great job!

Joshua Dorkin June 8, 2011 at 7:48 am

Thank you so much for your thoughts, John. This was definitely one of the more informative interviews we’ve done. Please do share it!

Travis Sperr June 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Great Interview. Job Well Done, Kevin.

Mario Acosta June 7, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Joshua–Great video! I will pass along to a lot of new investor clients.

Joshua Dorkin June 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Mario. Please do. Kevin had some fantastic insight to share!

Matt Rosen June 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Great insight from Kevin, and another excellent interview. Refreshing to hear a hard money lender that is honest and holds nothing back.

Great job

Joshua Dorkin June 8, 2011 at 7:45 am

Most definitely, Matt!

Rachel Aka Mobile Home Gurl June 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Great interview!

It’s interesting to hear your story and insight, Kevin, both from the investor and lending side. Apart from rehabbers on the residential side, I’ve known of a handful of investors who have used hard money successfully on commercial transactions. Hearing your interview definitely shed some light on the subject, thanks for sharing! :)

Joshua Dorkin June 8, 2011 at 7:43 am

Agreed, Rachel. Kevin is the real deal!

Kevin Amolsch June 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Thanks everyone. I am glad that you enjoyed the interview. This was the first time Josh and I have actually spoke and it was great getting to know him a little better. I am happy that he asked me to participate and hope that we can do more together. Thanks again!!

Ernest Adams June 10, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Great interview!
I utilize Kevin’s program and have been informing other investors I know to come aboard.

Mark Updegraff June 12, 2011 at 10:10 am

Thanks Kevin, This has been very insightful especially in regards to your Hard Money lending experience! Thanks so much for all your contributions!

Joel Owens June 12, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Kevin,

Awesome interview.Loved it!

Few questions:

1.Do you do commercial hard money?? I see many HML’s shy away from it. The types of deals are different in that you want to rehab the property and get it stabilized with rents for 6 to 12 months before you can sell it off or refi.So hard money loan time is much longer.

2.How do you raise private funds to do hard money without being in securities violations of soliciting investors for money??

Would love to hear about HML commercial hard money plus another interview with you again as well.

Ariel Cretu June 12, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Excellent interview! A ton of helpful information and a reality check on the difficulties and alternative opportunites to find financing for your deals.

Kevin Amolsch June 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

We don’t do commercial hard money loans. There are a lot of lenders that do,in fact there are probably more that lend on bigger building than us that do residential. The reason is less about the time it takes and more about the lenders comfort level. I would just good commercial hard money and you will probably get more hits than you care to look into.

As far as the SEC concern. We put together a PPM registered with the SEC and we are registered in every state that we have an investor. You need to find a good securities attorney to help with this.

Hope this helps.

Joel Owens June 13, 2011 at 11:58 am

Thanks Kevin it help greatly…………………….. :)

Joshua Dorkin June 13, 2011 at 12:21 pm

All we have to do now is get Kevin more active on the forums . . . ;)

Kevin Amolsch June 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I try to get on here from time to time. There are so many smart people in these forums. Most of the time I want to address a question I notice that someone has already said what I would have said and even better than I would have said it. As my business continues to grow I am finding myself with more free time so maybe I will jump on here more often.

Joshua Dorkin June 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Good deal! Adding to what people have already said and being visible is a great way to drum up business (without soliciting) and to build up trust for yourself as one of the experts out there.

Brooks Conkle June 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Great information. Very inspiring to get into the field of lending. I mean, after building relationships with lenders for your own deals, why not partner with them and make loans to others?

Kevin Amolsch June 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I would be careful with this. In CO you should be exempt from licensing if you are raising money for your own deal but as soon as you broker a note and charge “fees” you need a securities license. My guess is other states are similar. I did get my license and can tell you that is was not the easiest thing I have done. This is one of those things you can go to jail for so I would talk to an attorney before doing anything crazy. :-) Good luck!

Mitch Sheean September 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Very informative interview. When you talk about providing a low-equity, motivated seller with payment relief, do you have them sign the deed over to you on agreement that you will refinance after a while? I’m not sure how that works. Thanks.

Kevin Amolsch September 16, 2011 at 9:43 am

Thanks for the question. Yes, most of the time the best way to work with low equity deal is to have them sign the deed to you. It is not quit that simple. You need to start with a contract and some pretty strong disclosures and it is best to close with a title company.

Habib February 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Great interviews…Matt!
Nice informative video for new hard money lenders to start with…

Leo September 2, 2013 at 8:20 am

I’m new to real-estate and would like to use hard money, I live in Pittsburgh pa do you know any hard money lenders in Pittsburgh that can help me?

Brandon Turner September 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Hey Leo, be sure to check out the BiggerPockets Hard Money Lender Directory to look for lenders!