6 Tips to Improve Your Local Real Estate Investment Company’s Branding

by John Fedro on October 9, 2012 · 11 comments

real estate investor branding

One of my favorite ways to find leads and motivated sellers is for other folks to find the deals for me. If you would like to position yourself as the “#1 ________ Investor in the area” or the “Authority in __________ field” then please read the following article below.

Branding (as I see it) is that automatic association–the identification–of you, your company, and/or your product by your target audience. Branding yourself is an ongoing process that should have more to do with your actions than your words (more on this in a moment).

Please see the list of 6 tips below to help you with your local branding campaign:

Be Specific: If you are very good at most aspects of real estate (wholesaling, rehabbing, mobile homes, raw land development, rentals, section-8 housing, REOs, Short-sales, Being a Realtor, Condos, etc) then you are likely an expert of none (Based on the idea it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert on any one thing). Understand that in order to be known for a certain “focus within real estate investing or specialty” then you must be specific enough while branding to target these folks.

Tell the world: Don’t hold back – also do not lie! Let us pretend that Rehabbing homes is the niche you wish to become an expert and familiar with. If you are not an expert in your ideal field yet or have yet to even complete your first deal then begin by telling every Investor, Realtor, Hard-Money Lender, Private money source, Family, Friends, and strangers that you are interested in every run down property in the city West of the highway and under $225,000 ARV (be specific).

If you have more experience already in your desired field then continue telling everyone you can that you are the “Go-to-Guy (or Gal)” in your area for these types of deals.

Be Consistent: Do not change your specialty every few weeks or months depending on your mood or because of a new real estate fad. Whether you have chosen a highly desired field or have selected a smaller niche of real estate be consistent and repetitive in your message. The old adage states that a “squeaky” wheel gets the grease, not the “most-popular” wheel.

Do what you say: Talk can only get you so far. When talk ends, action begins. Word of mouth advertising for me has been a big key to my success. When I tell folks I can help them I always make a valid effort to help (or at the very least to educate) anyone looking for help within my expertise-field.

Be Omnipresent: Branding works because it is seen by the target audience multiple places and ways. This is true for your branding too. Make sure you are able to get your message across in multiple ways. See below for more ideas.

Be Creative: Be creative in your avenues to get your Brand inside peoples’ heads. See a few examples below;

1. Add a signature and picture to all your email. This “signature area” should mention your field of expertise and possibly a “call to action” for anyone finding a deal that fits what you are looking for to contact you.

2. If you are a member to any Yahoo, Gmail, or other online email “Chat” groups through your local real estate clubs then remind these local investors monthly about what you are looking for. Shameless plugs are oftentimes the best!

3. Begin partnering with newer investors interested in learning more about your area of expertise. Anyone that brings you a deal can partner with you to learn more.

4. While marketing begin calling yourself something memorable, such as; Betty Buys Busted Homes or Tom Solves Sink-Hole Shacks or Jeff the Note King. While these examples are “cheesy” (in my opinion) I have known many folks who have successfully used this tactic and therefore wish to give you this option.

Readers: What are other clever ways to help brand yourself that you can be using?

Do what you love daily,
John Fedro

Photo: Terry Johnston

Joshua Dorkin October 9, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Great post from Mr. John Fedro, “the Mobile Home King.”

John Fedro October 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Ha! Thanks Josh. I was waiting for that. Always happy to contribute here.

Dale Osborn October 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm

John:

Good list for branding. One more could be for you to sell your experience or branding – not the product. You want them to remember you for the brand you are creating for yourself not the homes you are selling.

Dale

John Fedro October 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Hi Dale,

Interesting comment. I like where you’re going with that. So you’re saying to attempt to put focus towards a “wow” factor or memorable interaction (based on your performance and not whether you actually strike a deal) that will stick in peoples’ memory banks…? If I am incorrect please advise.

I would be interested if you have a specific example in mind, perhaps when interacting with a buyer, agent, seller, etc.

Best,
John Fedro

Dale Osborn October 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Deals can take place, but is closing the one deal what you wanted to be remembered for? You want people to remember how much experience you have as well as the brand you are putting together. Coke is an internationally known brand. Is it the brand or the product people recognize?

Dale

John Fedro October 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Good explanation Dale.

A valuable note for anyone reading the comments would be to determine what your brand will stand for early on. Reading my mission statement and core beliefs before I start working each morning has really helped paint a clear picture in my mind of who I am and want to become.

Thanks,
John FEdro

Elle Reynolds September 8, 2013 at 1:19 am

Such great information John!

I find leads for investors and I’ve recently started a boutique brand development, marketing company for real estate investors and I still generate leads as well. I have a custom package to cut cost down for investors and this was really helpful. I really loved Dale’s comment as well. I’ll be sure to use that :-) in meeting with my first client on Monday.

elle.

John Fedro September 8, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Glad you gained value form the article Elle. Let me know if you have any mobile home specific questions in the future.

Best,
John Fedro

Karen Rittenhouse October 26, 2012 at 10:53 am

Yes, Be consistent!

Chances are, you won’t become “known” for anything in a month but, over time, you can build a reputation and be “known” for something!

Thanks for the post.

John Fedro October 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the comment and support! BTW I really like your blog and look forward to reading more.

Best,